October 3, 2013, TORONTO, ON – The Canadian Hockey League proudly announced today that 397 CHL graduates were listed on National Hockey League opening day rosters, including 148 from the WHL, representing over 55% of all players in the league to start the 2013-14 season.
Among them are thirteen former members of the Brandon Wheat Kings, including former captains Brayden Schenn of the Philadelphia Flyers, Tampa Bay’s Keith Aulie and Matt Calvert of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Others include Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien, Minnesota Wild goalkeeper Josh Harding, Travis Hamonic of the New York Islanders, New Jersey’s Alexander Urbom, Rob Klinkhammer of the Phoenix Coyotes, Ryan Reaves of St. Louis, Washington’s Eric Fehr and Jason Chimera. As well, Detroit’s Jordin Tootoo and Scott Glennie of the Dallas Stars are beginning the year on the NHL Injured Reserve list.
Schenn, Calvert, Hamonic and Urbom were all members of the Wheat Kings 2010 MasterCard Memorial Cup Team, that lost out to the Windsor Spitfires in the Championship Final. After starting the year with the Devils, Urbom was claimed by the Capitals on Thursday afternoon.
Among the 397 are 12 players who finished the 2012-13 season in the CHL and are returning-eligible as 18 and 19-year-old players including four selected in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft led by Nathan MacKinnon of the Halifax Mooseheads who became the seventh straight CHL player to be selected first overall when he was chosen by the Colorado Avalanche. Additional 2013 NHL Draft picks on NHL rosters include fourth overall pick Seth Jones of the Portland Winterhawks who will debut with the Nashville Predators this season, sixth overall pick Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67’s who will debut with the Calgary Flames this season, and 16th overall pick Nikita Zadorov of the London Knights who is listed on the Buffalo Sabres opening day roster. The 12 players also includes eight 1994-born players selected in the 2012 NHL Draft who are eligible to return to the CHL.
The 397 CHL graduates on NHL rosters includes 178 players from the Ontario Hockey League, and 71 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. In addition, a total of 363 returning eligible CHL players attended NHL Training Camps this season including 168 from the OHL, 126 from the WHL, and 69 from the QMJHL. The CHL continues to be the number one supplier of talent to the NHL.
CHL eligible players on Opening Day NHL rosters:
2013 NHL Draft (95-born):
- Nathan MacKinnon (Halifax Mooseheads) selected 1st overall by the Colorado Avalanche
- Nikita Zadorov (London Knights) selected 16th overall by the Buffalo Sabres
2013 NHL Draft (94-born):
- Seth Jones (Portland Winterhawks) selected 4th overall by the Nashville Predators
- Sean Monahan (Ottawa 67’s) selected 6th overall by the Calgary Flames
2012 NHL Draft (94-born):
- Connor Carrick (Plymouth Whalers) selected 137th overall by the Washington Capitals
- Mathew Dumba (Red Deer Rebels) selected 7th overall by the Minnesota Wild
- Mikhail Grigorenko (Quebec Remparts) selected 12th overall by the Buffalo Sabres
- Scott Laughton (Oshawa Generals) selected 20th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers
- Olli Maatta (London Knights) selected 22nd overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton Oil Kings) selected 4th overall by the New York Islanders
- Morgan Rielly (Moose Jaw Warriors) selected 5th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Tom Wilson (Plymouth Whalers) selected 16th overall by the Washington Capitals