Photo credit Jeff Tyler

No. 7UNB 3 CapeBreton 4 Final

With every game being a must win for the defending AUSchampions, the Cape Breton University Capers men’s soccerteam passed their first test Saturday, posting a 4-3 victory overthe University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds in Sydney.

CBU took a 1-0 first half lead and extended it to 4-1 late inthe second before being forced to withstand a late rally fromUNB.

The win improves the Capers to 3-2-3 on the season and into thesixth and final playoff spot.

Kwabe Boateng with a pair of goals and Zak Riley and Trey Durhamwith single makers supplied the offence for the Capers.

Diego Padhilha, Yassin Shehab El Din and Dylan Van Aarle repliedfor the Varsity Reds, who fell to 4-2-2 on the year.

Ethan MacInnis made nine saves for the win in the CBU goal whileBrandon Eagle and Aaron McMurray combined to make seven saves forUNB.

CBU returns to action Sunday at 3:15 p.m. when they host Monctonat the Cape Breton Health Recreation Centre on the CBU campus.

Carleton 1 Trent 0 Final
Toronto 1 Nipissing 0 Final

Source: Robb Fenton, Nipissing Athletics

Despite having a number of chances in the first half, theNipissing Lakers men’s soccer team came up just short againstthe University of Toronto.

The Lakers outshot the Varsity Blues in the first 45 minutes,but weren’t able to find the back of the net and U of T hungaround just enough to score in the 73 rd minute to earn thevictory.

As well as the shots, the Lakers had a number of corners, butcame up just short.

The team is back on the pitch tomorrow afternoon, hostingRyerson, looking to avenge today’s setback.

Game time is set for 2:15 p.m. at Nipissing Field.

No. 3Ryerson 2 Laurentian 1 Final

Source: Julie Lopez, Laurentian Sports Writer

Coming off a big victory this past weekend, the Laurentian Men?ssoccer team was looking to earn three points against the RyersonRams on Saturday. The men fought hard throughout the full 90minutes, however they were unable to earn the victory, succumbing1-2 to the Ryerson Rams, who are currently the leaders of the OUAEast division.

Both teams started the game with intensity, however it was theRams who were able to find the back of the net first. Ryersonopened the scoring at the five minute mark, when Alexander Braleticscored his first of the game, and 10th of the season. The Voyageurscontinued to battle for possession throughout the remainder of thehalf, and earned their first goal of the game at the 33rd minutemark from Joel Levac (Cornwall, ON).

Similarly to the first half, the Rams opened the scoring withinthe first few minutes of play. Scoring his second of the game,Braletic found the back of the net off a cross coming into theLaurentian box. The Voyageurs were able to maintain possessionthroughout the remainder of the game with Stephen Fattore(Brampton, ON) and Omar Allison (Brampton, ON) controlling the playwithin the middle of the field, however they were unable to converton any opportunities. The Rams were able to hold onto their secondgoal to beat the Voyageurs 2-1, earning their 8th victory of theseason.

The men will be playing against the University of TorontoVarsity Blues on Sunday at 2:15pm. Continue to follow your Voyagersat www.luvoyageurs.comfor up-to-date news and results.

Laurentian University?s Department of Athletics is home to 18varsity sports teams. The Voyageurs decorated history of pride andtradition includes 62 provincial championships as well as 10national championships in 52 years of competition.

No. 2UBC 4 UNBC 1 Final
UOIT 3 Brock 4 Final
No. 8McMaster 1 No. 1York 0 Final

Source: Ed Michel, York

TORONTO – The No. 1 nationally ranked York University Lionsmen’s soccer team was looking to avenge their only loss, as theytook on the No. 8 McMaster Marauders on Saturday (Oct. 5) at YorkStadium. The rematch was bittersweet however, as York fell onceagain to the Marauders by a score of 1-0. The loss was the first athome since Sept. 29, 2009.

Having dropped a tough 1-0 decision to the Marauders on Sept.13th, the Lions had their hearts set on vengeance. And the tensionwas palpable from the first touch.

Continuing their sensational play from the past few games,York looked incredibly strong from the opening whistle. Though themajority of the first half was played under a draw, the Lions hadseveral chances in front of the Marauder goal that they were unableto convert upon.

The Lions pressure had the Marauders frustrations boilingover however, resulting in a yellow card in the 37th minute ofplay. But as the Lions looked to capitalize on McMaster’s misstep,they would commit a costly error of their own. York midfielderArthur Casupanan (Niagara Falls, Ont.) would score a goal on hisown net while attempting to defend a McMaster attacker, conceding a1-0 deficit before half.

The second half began with the same tension as the first, asboth teams continued the incredibly close play. The half’s onlyreal chance came for York off of another costly McMaster yellowcard that awarded the Lions a free kick attempt in the 66th minuteof play. But McMaster would block the kick, and though the majorityof the second half was played within the Marauders end, York wasunable to overcome the 1-0 score.

The Lions drop to 9-2 on the season, and look to rebound onhome turf Friday (Oct. 11) when they face the visiting GuelphGryphons at 3:15pm at York Stadium.

Windsor 1 No. 5Guelph 1 Final

Source: Guelph Sports Info

GUELPH, Ont. – The Guelph Gryphon men’s soccer team tiedthe visiting Windsor Lancer’s today 1-1 at the Gryphon SoccerComplex. The tie puts the Gryphon’s at 7-1-4 on the seasonwhile the Lancer’s move to 5-2-4.

The contest had implications on the top of OUA West standings asonly six points separated the fourth place Lancer’s from thesecond place Gryphon’s heading into the match. Guelph waswithout leading goal scorer Robert Murphy for today’s matchas he was out with an injury.

The first half was very closely contested. Neither sidesurrendered many scoring opportunities. In the 10th minute Windsorplayer Jack Sargent was given a yellow card for a dangerous slidetackle.

The best opportunities for the Gryphon’s came in the 24thminute with chances coming off a free kick and corner kickconsecutively. Gryphon goalie Nicolas Wetterling made a great saveoff a free kick in the 27th minute, stopping the Lancer’sbest opportunity of the half. Gryphon captain Mike Bijman(Brantford, Ont.) was given a yellow card in the 44th minute. Withthree total yellow cards in the half, both sides had their emotionson full display.

In the 51st minute Timothy Flynn e(Scarborough, Ont.) ended thedeadlock on a penalty kick. Flynn was taken down in the box byLancer Derrick Amankwa. Amankwa was given a yellow card for theinfraction. The Lancer’s tied the match in the 65th minutewhen Michael Pio scored on a header off a free kick deep insideGryphon territory.

Yet another yellow card was given in the game during the 67thminute, this time to Guelph for an undisciplined challenge. In the83rd minute Guelph nearly scored the go a head goal when TimothyFlynn’s header was stopped on a beautiful, diving save byWindsor goalie Dejo Olagbegi. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.

The Gryphon’s will play again tomorrow at home, hostingthe Western Mustangs at 3:15pm.

Memorial 1 UPEI 2 Final
No. 6Alberta 0 Saskatchewan 2 Final

Source: Nicole Betker, Saskatchewan Sports Info

SASKATOON – Two second half goals proved to be the differencefor the University of Saskatchewan Huskies in a 2-0 shutout overthe visiting No. 6 ranked University of Alberta Golden BearsSaturday afternoon on Field 7 in PotashCorp Park.

Rookie defender Kyle Moore scored his first CIS goal and strikerGarrett Peters tallied his second goal of the season in thevictory.

With the win, Saskatchewan improves to 6-3-0, extending theirfirst place lead in the Canada West prairie division standings tofour points over the Golden Bears. Alberta drops to 4-2-3 with theloss.

After Brett Levis was awarded a free kick in the 51st minute,Moore was able to get his head on the free kick taken by fellowdefender Jordian Farahani to open the scoring in the match. Hisheader bounced just over a leaping Jay Vetsch into the top leftcorner.

Peters added the insurance goal for the Saskatchewan in the 80thminute when a ball by Eoin McFadden landed on his feet. His shotquickly sailed by Vetsch.

Saskatchewan had the best chances to break the nil-nil contestin the first half outshooting the Golden Bears 5-1 in the frame.The best chance came on a free kick by David Brown 20 yards out.Vetsch was able to deflect the shot with his hand. Twice theHuskies were within five yards of the Alberta net, but failed toget off a shot.

Vetsch finished the match with six saves, while Saskatchewankeeper made two saves in the shutout. The Huskies finished thematch outshooting Alberta 13-5.

The two rivals will meet again Sunday. Match time is 2:15 p.m.on Field 7 in PotashCorp Park.

Calgary 2 MountRoyal 1 Final

Source: Mount Royal Sports Info

CALGARY – The University of Calgary (3-4-1) defeatedMount Royal (3-3-1) 2-1. The Dinos scored two quick goals whichdiminished an early, longstanding Cougars lead. Gourlay andLawrence’s markers led the Dinos over the Cougars, who’s lone goalwas scored by Ryan Clancy.

Each team featured a number of players that have played againsteach other for years with their club teams, so today there was nolove lost as the Cougars and Dinos squared off. Some hard tacklesby both teams tested the referee’s patience and then the cardsstarted to come out. After a couple cards the hard play continuedbut the careless fouls slowed and the chances started to spawn.Mount Royal had a great chance to score off a corner but SeanColvin’s header went just wide.

The Cougar’s pressure finally paid off as they as they moved downthe field and slowed the pace. After some control the Cougars madea run. Sean Colvin broke down the right side and flipped a hardcross to the top of the box where a streaking Ryan Clancy met itwith a header and buried the ball in the back of the net to givethe Cougars a 1-0 lead going into the half.

The second half saw tempers flare even more as both teams werewarned on several occasions. The play resulted in a hard tacklethat handed the Dinos a red card and forced them to play a mandown.

The Dinos did not waver and added a quick goal by James Gourlay.Just minutes later the Dinos scored again to take the lead. IzakLawrence lobbed a high ball over the keeper to make the score 2-1and ultimately give the Dinos the victory.

Calgary improves to 4-4-1 while the Cougars drop below .500 sittingwith a record of 3-4-1.

These two teams will play the second half of their weekenddoubleheader tomorrow afternoon at 2:30pm down at MR Field.

Lethbridge 0 Winnipeg 2 Final

Source: Sheldon Appelle, Winnipeg Sports InformationCoordinator

WINNIPEG – The Winnipeg Wesmen Men’s Soccer team picked up avital victory Saturday night. The Wesmen defeated the LethbridgePronghorns 2-0 on a cool, crisp evening at the Winnipeg SoccerComplex.

The win improves Winnipeg’s record to 3-4-3 (12 points) andpulls them to within one point of the Calgary Dinos for the finalplayoff spot in the Prairie Division. The Pronghorns return homewith a record of 2-7-1.

The early stages of the opening half saw both teams withglorious scoring opportunities. Pronghorns midfielder OdilichukwuOhuegbe had a chance to open the scoring in the fifth minute butWesmen goalkeeper Tyson Farago made the save. The Wesmen had achance of their own shortly after with Ryan Ramjiawan streakingdown the left side and getting a quality shot on Pronghornsgoalkeeper Tyler Boast, which he turned away.

After both teams settled into a more defensive game, Winnipegmanaged to turn their offensive switch on. Fourth year midfieldertook a perfect feed from Ramjiawan and put a perfect header pastBoast to give the Wesmen a 1-0 lead 26 minutes into the contest.The Pronghorns did get some opportunities late in the first halfbut Farago turned away all six shots to send the Wesmen into thehalftime break with a 1-0 lead.

In the second half Lethbridge had several opportunities but wereunsuccessful sending several shots high or wide of the Wesmen net.Wesmen forward Ross Pinhammer looked to extend Winnipeg’s lead inthe 58th minute but his shot was turned away by Boast. Winnipegfinally got their insurance goal they needed in the 82nd minute asKenny Sacramento took a perfect pass from Kristjan Nordman to pushthe Winnipeg lead to 2-0.

The teams were even in total shots with 19 each. Both goaliesmade eight saves in the contest for their respective teams.

Winnipeg will head to the West Coast next week to take on UBC onFriday and Trinity Western on Saturday. Lethbridge will play hostto UNBC next Saturday.