By Ali Lee, Vikes Communications
October 10, 2013, VICTORIA (ISN) – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s basketball team started their pre-season on a high note defeating the Concordia Stingers 79-67 on Oct. 10 in the opening match of the UBC Invitational Tournament. Senior Terrell Evans picked up where he left off from last season leading the team in scoring with 20 points, while four other Vikes also hit double digits.
The Vikes were 41 per cent from distance, making up nearly half of the team’s scores. First year Vikes Mack Roth and Marcus Tibbs each contributed 11 points in the game, with Tibbs draining two of his three three-point attempts. In addition, veterans Reiner Theil and Chris McLaughlin added 10 points each.
For the Stingers island product Mukiya Post tallied 19 points and was six-for-six from the line, while Adam Chmielewski added 17 points, eight rebounds and was three-for-four from three-point range.
“We definitely know we have a lot of things to work on and get better at but we got off on the right foot and got a win,” said Vikes head coach Craig Beaucamp. “We gave up 15 offensive rebounds and had too many turnovers which are often a good recipe to lose but we shot well from the three and had five guys in double digits to make up for it.”
The Vikes started the game on a quick 5-0 run after Tibbs drained his first three-point attempt. The Vikes maintained a steady lead throughout the opening quarter running away with an 18-8 score line after the first quarter and 36-28 at the half.
In the second frame the Stingers worked to close the gap narrowing in by as much as four points thanks to a three-pointer from Post. Evans put the Vikes back on pace responding with a trey of his own to boost the Vikes to a 59-48 lead entering the final quarter.
To close out the game the Vikes put up 20 fourth-quarter points to Concordia’s 19 but first-half scoring was enough to give the Vikes the final 79-67 tilt.
Up next the Vikes will face Concordia Cavaliers, from Portland, Ore., on Oct. 11 at 5 p.m. The game will have live stats available at http://canadawest.tv
“We don’t see Concordia from Portland often but they have lots of seniors and returning players,” added Beaucamp. “They will be a tough team. They are a bit unknown to us but we know we have our homework to do.”
- UVIC: 8-20-20-19 : 67
- CONC: 18-18-23-20 : 79
- SCORING LEADERS
- UVIC: Terrell Evans (20), Marcus Tibbs (11), Mack Roth (11), Reiner Theil (10), Chris McLaughlin (10)
- CONC: Mukia Post (20), Adam Chmielewski (17), Zach Brisebois (9)
Thursday, October 10th, 2013
- 3 PM | UVIC Vikes vs. Concordia Stingers (Montreal)
- 5 PM | Thompson Rivers Wolfpack vs. Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks
- 7 PM | UBC Thunderbirds vs. Concordia Cavaliers (Oregon)
Friday, October 11th, 2013
- 3 PM | Concordia Stingers (Montreal) vs. Thompson Rivers Wolfpack
- 5 PM | Concordia Cavaliers (Oregon) vs. UVIC Vikes
- 7 PM | Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks vs. UBC Thunderbirds
Saturday, October 12th, 2013
- 3 PM | Thompson Rivers Wolfpack vs. Concordia Cavaliers (Oregon)
- 5 PM | UVIC Vikes vs. Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks
- 7 PM | UBC Thunderbirds vs. Concordia Stingers (Montreal)
ALL GAMES AT UBC WAR MEMORIAL GYM
6081 University Blvd. Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
ADULTS – $10
YOUTH (8-18) | SENIOR (65+) | VISITING STUDENTS – $5 *ID Required
FAMILY PASS (2 Adults & up to 3 Youth) – $20
UBC STUDENTS – $2 *UBC Student Card Required
UNA – $2 *UNA Card Required
KIDS UNDER 7 – FREE