Wooster’s overtime goal lifts Huskies to victory


October 12, 2013, SASKATOON (ISN) – Fifth-year forward Cami Wooster scored 18 seconds into overtime to give the University of Saskatchewan Huskies a 4-3 win over the visiting University of Manitoba Bisons Saturday night in Saskatoon’s Rutherford Rink.

Wooster corralled the puck at the Huskies blue line and raced down the ice before firing a shot in on Dée-Ana Marion. Marion made the initial save, but Wooster jumped on the puck and snapped a quick shot over the Manitoba goalie’s shoulder, hitting the bottom of the cross bar and falling into the net.

With the pair of one-goal wins on the weekend, the Huskies improve to 3-1 on the season, while Manitoba drops to 1-2-1.

Manitoba dominated the first period of play, outshooting Saskatchewan 10-1 in the opening 10 minutes and 16-5 for the period. Huskie goalie Cassidy Hendricks made a number of key saves to keep the Huskies in the game early.

The Bisons finally broke through at 19:10 of the first period. Maggie Litchfield-Medd found the back of the net for the second consecutive night with a slap shot from the left side that ticked off Hendricks’ glove before going in to give Manitoba a 1-0 lead.

Saskatchewan seemed to regroup during the first intermission and came out on the attack in the second. At 2:10 the home squad was on the board with a goal from Kyra Bannatyne.

Two goals separated by just 40 seconds gave the Huskies a 3-1 lead midway through the second period. Candace Kook scored her first of the season at 8:08 on a wrist shot from the face off dot. Cassandra Jorgenson followed with her second goal of the weekend, making a quick move to create space and firing a shot past starting Mantioba goalie Rachel Dyck at 8:48.

In the third period it was Manitoba’s turn to go on the attack again. Nicole McGlenen got the Bisons to within a goal at 1:41. Litchfield-Medd would add her second goal of the game at 6:56 by poking in a loose puck in the crease after a Meagan Vestby hard drive to the net was stopped by Hendricks.

Hendricks finished the night with 28 saves as the Bisons outshot the Huskies 31-17. Dyck made seven saves for Manitoba before being replaced by Marion, who recorded six saves.

Both squads finished the night 0-for-4 on the power play.

Manitoba returns home to take on the Mount Royal University Cougars next weekend, while the Huskies hit the road to face the University of Alberta Pandas.