Vikes lose out to visiting Surrey Lions

UVic-Logo web-(1)

By Ali Lee, Vikes Communications

October 19, 2013, VICTORIA (ISN) – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s field hockey team had a good first-half performance against an international-heavy Surrey Lions team despite a lopsided 7-3 loss on Oct. 19 at UVic’s field hockey pitch. The Lions are currently in first place in the Vancouver men’s premier league with a 4-1-0 record, while the Vikes are still on the hunt for their first win at 0-4-0.

The Vikes tallied three goals in the game from each of Prabh Sahota, Connor Martin and Trevor Feehan. Rookie keeper Toby Owen played in goal for the Vikes, who, despite a good performance, collapsed to allowed five second-half goals.

“We played the first 15 minutes of the game really, really well,” said Vikes head coach Kevin Laidman. “We had a brief lapse in concentration for their first two goals but it was a really exciting game. I think the team played really well but they definitely capitalized in the second half and when we tried to push up at the end we paid the consequence – allowing two late goals.”

The Lions boasted a strong squad as they now tally 22 goals in five games. The visitors carried a roster that included five players brought over from Namdhari, India to compete with the team for the season. That international boost was the determining factor for the team that scored three goals in four minutes with 20 minutes left in the game.

The Vikes opened the scoring after Riley Tringham had a shot from the top of the circle that was saved by the Lions keeper. There was a scramble for the rebound but Sahota was waiting to bury the rebound for the 1-0 lead.

Following a tying goal from Surrey, the Vikes found themselves with a penalty corner. Defender Sam Jones, who made a late decision to return to the Vikes beginning this weekend, took the drag flick to the keeper’s right. Martin got a stick on and forced a save from the goalie but the rebound came high and Martin’s eye-hand coordination put the Vikes up again 2-1.

The Lions rallied back, capitalizing on a Vikes mental lapse to tie the game at two entering the break.

Only five minutes into the second half and Feehan lifted the Vikes up 3-2 on a penalty corner. Jones sent a hard ball into the circle and the rebound was picked up and finished by Feehan.

Surrey continued to keep pace, scoring the 3-3 tying goal 10 minutes later and they didn’t look back from there. A flurry of goals came in a span of four minutes to lift the Lions up 5-3.

The Lions added two late tallies at the 60th and 70th minute to take the game 7-3.

“We had a good performances from David Bell in the back making really good tackles,” added Laidman. “Also Sam Jones and Sam Merriweather had a strong game for us and despite the score line our keeper Toby Owen made a lot of saves in the game.”

Up next the Vikes men will host the West Coast Kings next weekend, Oct. 26, at 2 p.m. at UVic’s field hockey pitch.