October 19, 2013, Brandon, MB. (ISN) – The Brandon Wheat Kings 2013 “Pink the Rink” Night was a tremendous success!
The Wheat Kings, who sported one-time only pink jerseys during Saturday night’s game against the Eastern Conference leading Medicine Hat Tigers, are pleased to announce that close to $25,000 was raised in this year’s campaign for the Canadian Cancer Society.
In addition to having two jerseys auctioned off earlier in the week on both 880 CKLQ (Chad Robinson’s #20 for $1,200) and 94.7 Star FM (Ryan Pulock’s #2 for $3,100), 22 game jerseys were auctioned off through a silent auction that was held throughout the game, which was won by the Wheat Kings 6-3.
In addition to the jersey auction, volunteers from the Cancer Society sold special “Pink the Rink” t-shirts and raffle tickets for another Wheat Kings’ game jersey (Dominic Thom’s #34).
Of the jerseys auctioned off during the game, the top seller was 20-year old defenceman Rene Hunter’s sweater that went for $2,100.
This marked the first time ever that the Western Hockey League club has donned pink jerseys, in support of this worthwhile cause, during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Following is the complete list of successful auction bidders Saturday night:
- 3 Nick Walters $900 Tracy Howse
- 5 Colton Waltz $600 Diane Jacobson
- 7 Eric Roy $625 Terry Ostash (Gateway Newstands)
- 8 Jayce Hawryluk $750 Garth Jackson
- 9 Rene Hunter $2,100 Ebb ‘n Flow First Nation
- 10 Kord Pankewicz $675 Tim McFaddin (MNP)
- 11 Taylor Green $650 Brent Laminman
- 12 Jesse Gabrielle $575 Allan Clayton
- 13 Rihards Bukarts $625 Brian Fowler (Fowler Hyundai)
- 15 Jack Palmer $525 Jacque Mogford
- 17 John Quenneville $600 Daniel Sunaert
- 18 Richard Nejezcleb $775 Steven Montague (4 Season Sales)
- 19 Taylor Cooper $750 Angela Holder
- 21 Tyler Coulter $750 Brad Stone
- 22 Braylon Shmyr $600 Jason Thorpe (Thorpe Construction)
- 23 Tim McGauley $625 Grant Howse
- 24 Jens Meilleur $650 Canadian Tire
- 26 Ryley Lindgren $650 Derek Millard
- 27 Brett Kitt $600 John Cawlski
- 28 Quintin Lisoway $575 Maxine Harvey
- 33 Jordan Papirny $675 Janine Rivest
- 35 Curtis Honey $1,025 Daren Millard (Rogers Sportsnet)
As for the game, the Wheat Kings built up a 4-1 second period lead en route to the win – their second in a row – to improve to 7-5-0 on the season.
John Quenneville led the winners with a goal and two assists while Jayce Hawryluk, Rihard Bukarts and Richard Nejezchleb had a goal and an assist each. Captain Ryan Pulock and rookie Braylon Shmyr – with his first goal of the season – also scored for the Wheat Kings, who received a stellar 43 save performance from veteran netminder Curtis Honey.
The Wheat Kings will now hit the road this week for their annual West Coast road trip, beginning Friday night against the Chiefs in Spokane. Brandon’s next home game Thursday, November 7th against the visiting Saskatoon Blades.
Tickets for all remaining games are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling (204) 726-3555 or online at www.wheatkings.com