Story by Christian J. Stewart, With Files From CEC
October 30, 2013, St. Catherines, ON – Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) is currently undergoing new and exciting changes that will move Canada’s competitive sport climbing community to be in accordance with the Sport Canada model.
CEC has now been federally incorporated as a National Sport Organization (NSO) with a mandate to regulate and promote the development of competition climbing in bouldering, difficulty and speed. Climbing Escalade Canada will provide assistance to athletes, coaches, and event organizers at the national level.
Sport Canada requires that the members of the CEC (as the NSO) are the Provincial Sport Organizations and through them, the athletes, officials and other partners.
Most readers will be familiar with similar Sport Canada models for other sports in Canada, such as Baseball Canada, Hockey Canada, Basketball Canada, and Rugby Canada, and the various Provincial Sport Organizations that fall under such national umbrellas.
The move to a Sport Canada sanctioned NSO marks a significant development in the governance of competition climbing in Canada, as a democratic process is now used to elect board members at both the Provincial and National levels. This is the first time the CEC has had a fully elected board to represent its members across Canada.
National Sport Organizations (NSOs) are also members of International Federations (IFs) that establish the rules of the sport and, among other things, determine where their respective international competitions will be held. In the case of competition climbing, CEC will now be properly aligned with and officially recognized by the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) as the governing body for sport climbing in Canada.
Two committees will support the CEC board of directors and will soon become active. There will be a call for volunteers to participate on the Athlete Development and Sport Development committees.
All these changes are necessary requirements to become eligible for Sport Canada funding and support, more details of which can be found HERE.
Here is important information regarding the 2013-2014 competition season:
- Local level competitions will be organized and sanctioned by Provincial Sport Organizations (PSO) in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and BC.
- Athlete registration will be done through the PSO’s.
- Athletes in Provinces without a PSO are welcome to get their memberships through one of the PSO’s and compete in their provincial series.
- The CEC will sanction Regional and National level competitions.
- The CEC will maintain the National ranking and continue to take responsibility for the selection and support of our Youth and Open National Team Athletes & Coaches.
Climbing Escalade Canada and its Provincial Sport Organizations are looking forward to this new and exciting season!
CEC Board of Directors
- Sport Climbing BC- Iain Stewart-Paterson
- Ontario Climbing Federation – Tim Vince
- Fédération québécoise de la montagne et de l’escalade – Maria Izquierdo
- Alberta Climbing Association – TBA (pending elections)
- Territorial Sport Organization representing the rest of Canada – TBA
About Climbing Escalade Canada
Climbing Escalade Canada is the National Sport Organization (NSO) for competition Climbing in Canada. The CEC mission is to regulate and promote the development of competition climbing in Canada, and provide assistance to athletes, coaches, and event organizers at the national level. Learn more at www.climbingcanada.ca or www.escaladecanada.ca.
Please Visit CEC at: