October 29, 2013, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Jordon Cooke of the Kelowna Rockets is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending October 27 with a 2-0-0-0 record posting a goals-against-average of 0.96 and save percentage of .968.
Cooke stopped 61 shots in two games backstopping the Rockets to a pair of back-to-back road wins against B.C Division opponent the Victoria Royals. On Friday night he made 28 saves and was named second star of the 4-1 win, then stopped 33 shots on Saturday and blanked all three Royals’ shooters to earn first star honours in the 2-1 shootout victory.
Cooke, a 20-year-old from Leduc, AB, is playing in his fourth career WHL season with the Rockets. In 10 games this season he has an 8-0-0-2 record with a league-best goals-against-average of 1.85 and league-high save percentage of .939.
Also considered for the award this week was Colorado Avalanche prospect Spencer Martin of the Mississauga Steelheads who posted a 2-1-0-0 record with one shutout victory along with a goals-against-average of 2.43 and save percentage of .944, while Minnesota Wild prospect Alexandre Belanger of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies went 3-0-0-0 with a goals-against-average of 2.33 and save percentage of .926.
2013-14 Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week:
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Jordon Cooke (Kelowna Rockets)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Philippe Cadorette (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville Tigres)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Ty Edmonds (Prince George Cougars)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Sebastien Auger (Saint John Sea Dogs)