By: James Nielsen, Vikes Communications
November 2, 2013, Montreal (ISN) – The University of Victoria women’s rowing crews travelled to Montreal, Que., looking to capture their fourth straight national title at the Canadian University Rowing Championships at McGill University. The Vikes finished with five of six teams qualifying for the a-finals in the Sunday, Nov. 3 final draw.
REGATTA INFO: http://mcgillrowing.wordpress.com/
RACE DRAWS: http://mcgillrowing.wordpress.com/race-draws/
Renae Barks and Emily Garry rowed to the Vikes best finish in Saturday’s competition, finishing first in the women’s lightweight double with a time of 7:44.22. The Vikes second best finish came from their lightweight four crew, consisting of Barks and Garry alongside Cate White, Kiersten Van Gulick and coxswain Becky Wilder.
Last season, the Vikes captured their third-straight national title at the CURC’s. With only Renae Barks, Jillian Legare and Emily Garry, the Vikes will have to rely on a heavy dose of young talent to capture this year’s title. Sun is in the forecast for tomorrow’s final draw, along with 32-kilometre gusts of wind. The draws will take place at McGill’s Olympic Basin, beginning at 6:00 a.m. PST.
Women’s rowing crews:
- W8+: Becky Wilder, Rebecca Zimmerman, Christina Scholten, Madeline Spangehl, Jillian Legare, Elizabeth McConnell, Catherine Slamka, Amanda Pomphrey, Anna Braunizer (4th 06:41.36)
- 2-: Jillian Legare, Rebecca Zimmerman (4th 07:46.24)
- 1x: Amanda Pomphrey (3rd 08:14.32)
- LW4+: Becky Wilder, Cate White, Renae Barks, Emily Garry, Kiersten Van Gulick (2nd 07:25.07)
- LW2x: Renae Barks, Emily Garry (1st 07:44.22)
- LW1x: Renae Barks (11th 08:28.46)