November 4, 2013, CALGARY, Alta. (ISN) – Twenty officials from across Canada and four international delegates will attend the Hockey Canada Level VI officiating seminar from Nov. 6-10, 2013 in Terrebonne, Que., Hockey Canada announced Monday.
The seminar prepares top officials in Canada for national championships and designated IIHF competitions, including world championships and the Olympic Winter Games.
“Canada has always been a top provider of quality level of officials throughout the world,” said James Mays, referee-in-chief with Hockey Canada. “This begins with the Hockey Canada Officiating Program, an instructional program that is the envy of other hockey nations around the world.”
Level VI seminars are held based on a national need for Level VI officials. The last Hockey Canada Level VI seminar was held in Guelph, Ont., in 2011. Hockey Canada’s manager of officiating is responsible for the organization of the site and program, establishing criteria and reviewing the candidates’ qualifications.
Candidates on hand have been nominated by the Hockey Canada branches and are already fully certified Level V officials. An established selection committee reviewed all the candidates and selected those that will be in attendance in Terrebonne.
The instruction will be handled by, among others, Mays, Todd Anderson, Hockey Canada’s manager of officiating, and Hockey Canada Referee Committee members Doug Hayward and Kevin Muench. Guest instructors will also be making presentations throughout the seminar.
Twenty-four officials, including four international delegates, will participate in the five-day seminar. There are approximately 80 active Level VI officials registered annually in Canada.
Delegates for this seminar are:
- Tyler Adair – Calgary, Alta.
- Simon Aicher – Germany
- Jonathan Alarie – Mirabel, Que.
- Kevin Arsenault – Dartmouth, N.S.
- Korey Bannerman – Barrie, Ont.
- Ryan Benbow – Sidney, B.C.
- Kevin Bennett – Kelowna, B.C.
- Logan Bryson – Kenora, Ont.
- Michael Campbell – Surrey, B.C.
- Alexander Côté – Gatineau, Que.
- Jason Faist – Cambridge, Ont.
- Seth Ferguson – Milton, Ont.
- Matthew Forster – Fredericton, N.B.
- Jens Gregersen – Denmark
- Dale Hawthorn – Winnipeg, Man.
- Fraser Lawrence – Edmonton, Alta.
- Moe Leblanc – Moncton, N.B.
- Stephen Orr – St. John’s, N.L.
- Trevor Peluk – Winnipeg, Man.
- Jason Pyke – Gatineau, Que.
- Bryce Sebastian – Regina, Sask.
- Ladislav Smetana – Austria
- Marc Wiegand – Switzerland
- Ben Wilson – Guelph, Ont.
Todd Anderson, Hockey Canada’s manager of officiating, will be on-site in Terrebonne and can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at (403) 874-3368.
For further information on the Hockey Canada Officiating Program, visit www.hockeycanada.ca.