November 5, 2013 (ISN) – Members of Canada’s National Team full-time training centre will compete at the NORCECA Final Four men’s volleyball tournament in Monterrey, Mexico, this week.
Canada will participate along with host-country Mexico, Dominican Republic and Venezuela. The event runs until Nov. 10 – Canada plays its first game on Wednesday, Nov. 06
“It is always great for the athletes at the full-time training centre to have an opportunity to play at an international level. We are looking forward to this tournament in Mexico, and our players are anxious to show the results of their training,” said coach Vincent Pichette.
Canada’s opening match is against Venezuela, then the team plays the Dominican and Mexico. Finals begin on Nov. 09. More information, including results, will be found on www.norceca.net
The Canadian team includes 2013 FISU team members Chris Voth, Steve Marshall, Jérémie Lortie, Justin Boudreault, Derek Nieroda, and Dane Pischke. Veteran players Dustin Schneider, Steve Brinkman and Steve Gotch are also travelling to Mexico for this event.
The full-time training centre team has been training together in Gatineau, Que, since September 30. While many of Canada’s top players are overseas playing on pro teams, the training centre serves as a home base to train and develop the program’s current and up-and-coming athletes.
Canada’s men’s National Team is currently ranked 11th in the FIVB Senior World Rankings.
Team Canada FTC Roster
- Justin Boudreault , St-Joseph-de-Beauce, QC
- Steven Brinkman, Bowmanville, ON
- Joseph Brooks, Toronto, ON
- Mark Broome, Kelowna, BC
- Steve Gotch, Okotoks, AB
- Lee Hamilton, Regina, SK
- Jérémie Lortie, Ottawa, ON
- Steven Marshall, Abbotsford, BC
- Dane Pischke, Winnipeg, MB
- Dustin Schneider, Brandon, MB
- Andrew Stephens, St. John’s, NL
- Chris Voth, Winnipeg, MB
- Vincent Pichette, Head Coach
- Frederic Charbonneau, Assistant Coach
- Chris Galbraith, Statistician
- Brett Hall, Athletic Therapist
- Frank Boyer, Team Manager