Courtesy of University of New Brunswick sports information
November 8, 2013, FREDERICTON (ISN) – The Montreal Carabins rebounded from a heartbreaking quarter-final loss to defeat the Saint Mary’s Huskies 2-0 in the first consolation semifinal of the CIS men’s soccer championship, Friday afternoon.
The Carabins, who lost 1-0 to defending national champion UBC in Thursday’s opening round, advance to the consolation final for fifth-place, Saturday at 2:30 p.m. AST. They will then face either Ryerson or Saskatchewan.
The result marked the end of the season for Saint Mary’s, which dropped a 3-0 decision to York in the first round.
“It was important for us after yesterday’s game to come back and be on the positive side of the score,” said Carabins head coach Pat Raimondo. “So I’m proud of the boys; they still found the energy and the enthusiasm to play the game.”
Ilcu Mircea, a second-year striker from Romania, opened the scoring in the 20th minute. He brought the ball up the right side of the 18-yard line, pushing it past goalkeeper Alex Bakolias, placing it in the bottom left corner.
Saint Mary’s starting keeper Adam Miller, an all-Canadian this season, had to sit out the game with a groin injury.
The score remained 1-0 until the 81st minute, when Bah Abdoul Karmin struck the ball from the top of the 18 and put it into the right side of the net.
“You never feel particularly good when you lose, but I mean it’s good experience for a lot of our younger kids,” said Huskies head coach Stewart Galloway. “It’s a bit disappointing for our older kids who are graduating and leaving who have been in the program for five years, but that’s part of the process.”
Sissoko Adama, a second-year midfielder from Mali, was named game MVP for Montreal. Playing in his final match for the Huskies, Shawn Kodejs of Halifax received the honour for his team.
- MTL: 1-1:2
- SMU: 0-0:0
- 1. MTL Ilcu Mircea (1) (unassisted), 20th
- 2. MTL Bah Abdoul Karmin (1) (unassisted), 81st
- MTL: Louis Philippe Simard (W, 0 GA, 6 saves, 90:00, 2-0)
- SMU: Alex Bakolias (L, 2 GA, 6 saves, 90:00, 0-2)
- Shots: MTL 8, SMU 6
- Shots on net: MTL 8, SMU 6
- Corners: MTL 9, SMU 3
- Offsides: MTL 6, SMU 1
- Fouls: MTL 14, SMU 12
- Yellow cards: MTL (P. Coulombe-Jutras), SMU (R. Faria de Carvalho)
- Red cards: none
Players of the game:
- MTL: Sissoko Adama
- SMU: Shawn Kodeis
SCHEDULE & RESULTS (ATLANTIC TIME)
Thursday, Nov. 7
- 11:00 Quarter-final 1: York 3, Saint Mary’s 0
- 13:30 Quarter-final 2: UBC 1, Montreal 0
- 16:00 Quarter-final 3: Laval 3, Ryerson 2
- 18:30 Quarter-final 4: UNB 2, Saskatchewan 1 (OT)
Friday, Nov. 8
- 11:00 Consolation 1: Montreal 2, Saint Mary’s 0
- 13:30 Consolation 2: Ryerson vs. Saskatchewan
- 16:00 Semifinal 1: York vs. UBC
- 18:30 Semifinal 2: Laval vs. UNB
Saturday, Nov. 9
- 14:30 5th-place game: Montreal vs. TBD
Sunday, Nov. 10
- 11:00 Bronze medal
- 14:00 Championship final