November 12, 2013, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Pittsburgh Penguins goaltending prospect Tristan Jarry is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending November 10 after posting a 2-1-0-0 record with two shutout victories along with a goals-against-average of 0.67 and save percentage of .977.
Jarry posted back-to-back shutout victories on the road last week helping the Oil Kings gain some ground in the WHL’s Eastern Conference where they currently rank in third place with 25 points. On Tuesday night he earned first star honours with 37 saves in a 3-0 win over the Vancouver Giants, then made 21 saves on Wednesday as part of a 5-0 win over the Victoria Royals recording his third shutout of the season which is tied for the WHL lead. His strong play continued on Saturday where he made 28 saves and received second star honours despite a 2-0 loss to the Kelowna Rockets.
Jarry, an 18-year-old from Delta, BC, is playing in his third WHL season with the Oil Kings. Selected by the Penguins in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft, Jarry has an 11-7-0-1 record and holds the league’s second best goals-against-average with a mark of 2.09 and the fifth best save percentage at .921.
Also considered for the award this week was fellow Penguins prospect Matt Murray of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds who went 3-0-0-0 with one shutout and a goals-against-average of 1.62 and save percentage of .945, while Jacob Brennan of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan posted a 3-0-0-0 record with one shutout and a goals-against-average of 1.00 and save percentage of .965.
2013-14 Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week:
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Tristan Jarry (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Spencer Martin (Mississauga Steelheads)
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Jordon Cooke (Kelowna Rockets)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Philippe Cadorette (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville Tigres)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Ty Edmonds (Prince George Cougars)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Sebastien Auger (Saint John Sea Dogs)