Cougars defeat Wolves, 5-3

Victoria Cougars_Logo

November 14, 2013, COLWOOD, B.C. (ISN) – David Marshall scored twice and set up the game winner as the Victoria Cougars stunned the Westshore Wolves 5-3 in front of 157 at Bear Mountain Arena on Wednesday night.

Trailing 3-0, Marshall started the improbable comeback by wiring a shot past goalie Nick Dueck at 14:50 of the second period.

Less than three-and-a-half minutes later, on the power play, Marshall made it 3-2 after banging home a Michael Fretz rebound.

Fretz, who missed the last three games because of an undisclosed injury, took a pass from Graham Zagrodney at his own blue line, turned on the jets, weaved through not one but two Westshore defenders before getting his backhander turned aside. And that was when Marshall, who now leads Victoria with 14 goals, came to the rescue.

In the penalty box at the time of the goal was Clay Carson.

Marino Somerville scored a natural hat-trick, notching the tying goal, game winning goal, and insurance goal.

There was no scoring until the 3:42 mark of the third period. From behind the net, John Kretzschmar fed the puck into a crowd in front of the Wolves net. Somerville was able to find it and deposit it for his fifth goal of the season.

Again playing without the services of Blake Roney, Mark Walton, Nicholas Bower, Jordan Davie, and Nick Lyons, the Cougars (15-3-1-1) would go on to score the go-ahead goal on the power play at 13:29.

From the half wall, Wade Johnson centred the puck to Marshall whose one-timer from the slot deflected off the stick of Somerville and in. For Marshall, it was his sixth point in his last four games.

Another penalty, this time to Connor Krupa, put Westshore behind the eight ball for the fourth and final time.

Victoria, who finished 3-for-4 with the man advantage, scored with four minutes and 17-seconds remaining in regulation when Somerville beat Dueck from a bad angle.

Spencer Preece opened the scoring with the only goal of the first period. At 15:08, Preece wired a shot over the catching glove of goalie Connor Beauchamp. The goal, which was scored on the power play, was the ninth of the season for Preece.

The Wolves doubled their lead when Hobin Zinck bulled his way towards the net before flicking the puck over Beauchamp at 2:48 of the second period. Thomas Strocel then rang the puck off the crossbar and in from the slot to give Westshore a commanding 3-0 advantage at 8:38.

But the lead, which at one point look to be insurmountable, slowly evaporated into thin air.

Now trailing 5-3, the Wolves (8-11-3-2) were put on an extended two-man advantage late in the game after Patrick Webb and Robert Zadra took penalties seven seconds apart. But the glimmer of hope quickly fizzled as Beauchamp turned aside everything fired his way.

The Cougars outshot Westshore 43-35.

Brett Lervold, the Wolves leading point getter, recorded an assist to move into a third place tie in league scoring.

In attendance at tonight’s game were Victoria Grizzlies head coach/general manager Bill Bestwick, Grizzlies assistant coach/assistant general manager Craig Didmon, and South Island Royals head coach Geoff Grimwood.

Next game for Victoria is Thursday, November 14 against the Kerry Park Islanders. Game time at the Archie Browning Sports Centre, located at 1151 Esquimalt Road, is 7:00 p.m.


1st star, Marino Somerville (Goals: 3, Assists: 1)

2nd star, David Marshall (Goals: 2, Assists: 1)

3rd star, Thomas Strocel (Goals: 1, Assists: 0)