November 22, 2013 (ISN) – Canada’s Head Coach Kieran Crowley has announced his starting roster for tomorrow’s Canada versus Portugal Test Match in Lisbon, Portugal.
2013 has been one of the busiest years on record for Canada’s Men’s Fifteens Team and they look to finish on a high note on Saturday in Lisbon. So far this year Canada sits with a 5-5 record after having defeated USA (X3), Fiji and Tonga and lost to Ireland, Japan, the New Zealand Maori All Blacks, Georgia and Romania.
Captaining Canada on Saturday will be loosehead prop, Hubert Buydens, who has been a workhorse in the front-row during the November Tour since returning from club duties with Manawatu Turbos of the ITM Cup in New Zealand.
Portugal lost to Fiji 36-13 and hammered Brazil 68-0 earlier in November, and coach Crowley is expecting a different team than their previous two matches.
“Portugal play a lot more rugby then Georgia and Romania so we’re expecting the game to be a lot more open,” said Crowley.
“They compete very hard at the breakdown so we will need to be accurate in this area.”
Following narrow losses to Georgia and Romania, Canada travelled from Bucharest to Lisbon and began two-a-day training on Monday.
Canada will be without the services of five overseas professional players – Jeff Hassler, Tyler Ardron, Jebb Sinclair, Phil Mackenzie and Matt Evans – for Saturday’s test, as they will be needed for their respective clubs.
“We’ve lost another five players with a lot of experience back to their clubs, but this gives an opportunity for other guys to step up,” added Crowley.
Edmonton, Alberta native Kyle Gilmour has been recalled by coach Crowley and could make his test debut on Saturday.
Seven of Canada’s starting 15, and another two off the reserve bench, will travel to Dubai following Saturday’s test for the second leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series.
Canada’s Starting Roster for Portugal Test:
- 1- Hubert Buydens, (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Manawatu Turbos) Saskatoon, SK – Captain
- 2- Ray Barkwill, (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
- 3- Andrew Tiedemann, (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
- 4- Jon Phelan, (Lille Métropole Rugby/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
- 5- Tyler Hotson, (London Scottish) Vancouver, BC
- 6- John Moonlight, (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON
- 7- Nanyak Dala, (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
- 8- Adam Kleeberger, (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) White Rock, BC
- 9- Phil Mack, (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
- 10- Harry Jones, (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) West Vancouver, BC
- 11- Taylor Paris, (Agen) Barrie, ON
- 12- Nick Blevins, (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
- 13- Ciaran Hearn, (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay, NL
- 14- Conor Trainor, (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
- 15- James Pritchard, (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia
- 16- Benoit Piffero, (Burnaby Lake RFC/Blagnac Sporting Club) Montreal, QC
- 17- Djustice Sears-Duru, (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
- 18- Jake Ilnicki, (Williams Lake Rustlers/Auckland Colts) Williams Lake, BC
- 19- Brett Beukeboom, (Plymouth Albion RFC) Lindsay, ON
- 20- Kyle Gilmour, (St. Albert Rugby Club/Prairie Wolf Pack) Edmonton, AB
- 21- Jamie Mackenzie, (UVIC Vikes/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
- 22- Pat Parfrey, (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL
- 23- Connor Braid, (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
Players Unavailable due to Injury or other commitments
- Tyler Ardron, (Ospreys/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
- Aaron Carpenter, (Cornish Pirates) Brantford, ON
- Jamie Cudmore, (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
- Tom Dolezel, (London St. George’s/Ontario Blues) London, ON
- Sean Duke, (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
- Matt Evans, (Cornish Pirates) Maple Bay, BC
- Jeff Hassler, (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
- Nathan Hirayama, (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Richmond, BC
- Phil Mackenzie, (Sale Sharks) Oakville, ON
- Jason Marshall, (Atlantique Stade Rochelais/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
- Jebb Sinclair, (London Irish RFC) Fredericton, NB
- Liam Underwood, (Queens University/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON
- DTH Van Der Merwe, (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK
- Doug Wooldridge, (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
Senior Men’s Team Staff:
- Kieran Crowley – Head Coach
- Gareth Rees – National Program Manager
- Neil Barnes – Assistant Coach
- Mike Shelley – Assistant Coach
- Calum Ramsay – Performance Analyst
- Andy Evans – Strength and Conditioning
- Michael Cook – Therapist
- Carla Brash – Therapist
- Dr. Joseph Lemoine – Team Doctor