TORONTO – World championship team members Coleman Allen and Noemie Thomas, both of Vancouver, were multiple winners on Saturday to conclude the Canada Cup short course swimming competition.
Allen collected three gold medals on Saturday to finish the meet with five victories. On Saturday he took the 200-m freestyle and 100-m butterfly before helping the UBC Dolphins to victory in the 4×50-m freestyle relay.
Thomas earned her victories in the last two women’s races of the competition. She neared her Canadian record in the 50-m butterfly for the win then a few minutes later was the lead-off swimmer in UBC’s 4×50-m freestyle relay golden performance.
In the women’s 200-m butterfly, one of Canada’s deepest events, veteran Audrey Lacroix of Pont-Rouge, Que., finished ahead of Katerine Savard of Pont-Rouge, Que., in second and Thomas.
Other women winners included Martha McCabe of Toronto, who posted a decisive victory in the 200-m breaststroke, Victoria Poon of Montreal in the 100-m freestyle and Savannah King of Vancouver in the 400-m freestyle.
On the men’s side winners included Russell Wood of Calgary in the 50-m backstroke and Chris Manning of Brantford, Ont., in the 50-m freestyle.
Canada Cup Awards:
Swim of the Meet
Katerine Savard, Pont-Rouge, Que., 100-m butterfly 56.99
Zack Chetrat, Oakville, Ont., 200-m butterfly 1:55.39
Aggregate Point Winners
Katerine Savard, Pont-Rouge, Que., 10 points
Coleman Allen, Vancouver, 17 points
Annual Stroke Awards
Before the evening session Swimming Canada announced the winners of its annual stroke awards. The winners were:
– Chantal van Landeghem of Winnipeg and Blake Worsley of Vancouver as the sprint freestyle swimmers of the year.
– Ryan Cochrane and Alexa Komarnycky, both of Victoria, as the distance freestyle swimmers of the year.
– Charles Francis of Montreal and Hilary Caldwell of White Rock, B.C., as the backstroke swimmers of the year.
– Richard Funk of Edmonton and Martha McCabe of Toronto as the breaststroke swimmers of the year.
– Zack Chetrat of Oakville, Ont., and Katerine Savard of Pont-Rouge, Que., as the butterfly swimmers of the year.
– Alec Page of Victoria and Komarnycky as the individual medley swimmers of the year.
Swimming Canada’s Big Splash Awards Week will continue through Friday, Nov. 29. In addition to the Team Aquatic Supplies Male and Female Para-Swimmers of the Year being handed out Monday and Tuesday on Breakfast Television Montreal, four other major awards will be announced through a variety of media. The OMEGA Male and Female Swimmers of the Year will be revealed later in the week, as will the Open Water Swimmer of the Year and the People’s Choice Race of the Year. Voting for People’s Choice Race of the Year remains open through Monday at https://www.swimming.ca/RaceoftheYearNominees.
Full results: https://swimming.ca/liveresults/2013canadacuptoronto/