By: Daniel Herrick, Sports Information Assistant
November 28, 2013, Saskatchewan (ISN) – The University of Saskatchewan Huskies have never lost at home to the Mount Royal University Cougars. Despite losing for the first time ever to the Cougars in September, Saskatchewan looks to enter the December break on a high note.
- With 20 points, Saskatchewan’s Derek Hulak leads Calgary’s Chris Collins by just one point for the conference scoring lead. Hulak won the scoring title in 2011-12 and was named a CIS First Team All-Canadian.
- Saskatchewan is 4-2-1 on home ice this season, Mount Royal is 2-2-1 on the road.
- Neither team enters the weekend ranked in the top 10. Alberta (1) and Calgary (2) are the only Canada West teams in the poll.
- Huskie goalie Ryan Holfeld has started all 14 games in 2013-14 and has recorded a conference best three shutouts and 375 saves.
- Mount Royal defeated Saskatchewan for the first time in September, but has never won at Rutherford Rink.
Saskatchewan is 5-1 all-time against the Cougars. The Cougars earned their first ever win over the Huskies September 5, 2013 in Calgary with a 5-1 win. The Huskies won the first meeting of the year 5-2. In 2012-13, the Huskies won all four meetings in Mount Royal’s first Canada West season. In their two meetings at Rutherford last season the Huskies won by a combined score of 12-5.
MOUNT ROYAL UNIVERSITY COUGARS (6-7-1)
Riding a mini two-game winning streak, the Mount Royal Cougars search for their first ever win at Rutherford Rink this weekend against the Huskies.
Mount Royal put together back-to-back wins last weekend for the first time in 2013-14. The Cougars beat Lethbridge 4-1 on the road on Friday and 6-5 in a shootout on Saturday in Calgary.
Devin Gannon and Matthew Brown have each tallied 13 points for Mount Royal, while Cody Cartier is sixth among defencemen with 10 points.
Dalyn Flette has been a mainstay between the posts for the Cougars, starting 12-of-14 games. Flette has posted a 6-6 record with one shutout.
UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (6-7-1)
The Saskatchewan Huskies look to start a new home winning streak after having their previous one snapped by provincial rival the Regina Cougars.
Regina scored in overtime to win 4-3 Thursday night at Rutherford Rink snapping the Huskies’ four-game winning streak in Saskatoon. Saskatchewan also dropped a 3-1 decision the night before in Regina as the two teams played in a rare Wednesday-Thursday series.
Derek Hulak continues to hold on to the conference scoring lead with 20 points, despite a three-game scoring drought. Kenton Dulle is tied with Hulak for the team lead in goals with six and is second in points with 15.
Ryan Holfeld has started all 14 games for Saskatchewan and leads the conference in shutouts with three, while posting a .924 save percentage and 2.22 goals against average.