November 28, 2013, Brandon, MB. (ISN) – The Brandon Wheat Kings, in association with Atom-Jet Group have announced the winner of November’s Innovator of the Month Award.
A longtime volunteer with the Western Hockey League club – Ben Laursen – will be recognized Saturday night during the first intermission of the Western Hockey League game between the Wheat Kings and visiting Prince Albert Raiders.
A former Wheat Kings Season Ticket holder, Laursen has been a valuable member of the Wheat Kings’ family for close to fifty years as he began in the timekeepers box in 1965 when the Wheat Kings were skating in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League. Since then, he has served in a variety of roles with the club including public address, statistics and is currently the team’s director of off-ice officials. As well, Laursen spent time as the hockey club’s colour commentator on CKX Radio.
In addition to his work with the Wheat Kings, he has been an active participant in a number of community events and programs such as the following:
- Chairman of Hockey at the 1979 Canada Winter Games
- Publicity Chairman for the 1982 Canadian Mens Curling Championship – The Brier
- Executive member – 1993 Scott Tournament of Hearts
- Executive member – 1996 Western Canada Masters Curling Championship
- Executive member – 1997 Olympic Curling Trials
- Supervisor of Off-Ice Officials at the 2010 MasterCard Memorial Cup
As for Saturday’s game, the Wheat Kings will be playing their first home game in two weeks and will be the second of a busy 3-day weekend for the club. In addition to travelling to Moose Jaw to face the Warriors on Friday night, the WHL club will host its annual Scotiabank Skills Day at Westman Place on Sunday. Doors open at 2pm with proceeds from the $2 general admission ticket going to Hockey Brandon programs.