December 9, 2013, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Regina Pats’ forward Chandler Stephenson is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 8, 2013.
Stephenson scored four goals and added two assists for six points along with a +6 rating in three road games this past week, leading the Pats to a 2-1-0-0 record in that span.
On Wednesday, December 4th, Stephenson scored two goals and was named the game’s 2nd Star as the Pats suffered a 5-4 loss to the Wheat Kings in Brandon, MB. On Friday, December 6th, Stephenson tallied two goals and an assist with a +3 rating while earning 1st Star honors in a 5-4 shootout victory in Moose Jaw over the Warriors. On Saturday, December 7th, Stephenson picked up an assist on the game-winning goal, extending his point streak to five games, as the Pats posted a 3-2 win over the Saskatoon Blades.
Stephenson, a 19-year-old from Saskatoon, SK, is in his fourth season in the WHL with the Regina Pats, and currently leads the team in scoring with 37 points, including 13 goals, in 28 games. The 5’11”, 200-lb centerman was selected by the Washington Capitals in the third round, 77th overall, in the 2012 NHL Draft. Stephenson, the Pats’ first-round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, has amassed 56 goals and 143 points in 189 career regular-season games for Regina.
The WHL has also nominated Jordon Cooke of the Kelowna Rockets for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. A 20-year-old from Leduc, AB, Cooke posted a 2-0 record in two starts last week, allowing four goals on 59 shots for a 1.96 goals-against average and a .932 save percentage in that span. On Tuesday, December 3rd, Cooke stopped 29 of 32 shots while being named the game’s 1st Star as the Rockets edged the visiting Vancouver Giants 4-3 in overtime. On Friday, December 6th, Cooke turned aside 26 of 27 shots and was named the game’s 2nd Star in a 3-1 victory over the visiting Everett Silvertips. The 5’10”, 177-lb netminder is in his fourth and final season in the WHL with the Rockets, and currently boasts an impressive 16-1-0-2 record and a .928 save percentage in 19 games. A fourth-round pick, 79th overall, in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft, Cooke has appeared in 117 career WHL regular-season contests for Kelowna, posting 69 wins and seven shutouts.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Ryan Pulock, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Matt Pufahl, Everett Silvertips
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Julius Honka, Swift Current Broncos