December 16, 2013, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Spokane Chiefs’ forward Mike Aviani is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 15, 2013.
Aviani tallied three goals and five assists for eight points along with a +4 rating in three games during the past week, helping the Chiefs to three straight victories in that span.
On Wednesday, December 11th, Aviani scored the game-winning goal on the power play and added an assist to help the Chiefs post a 5-3 victory over the visiting Everett Silvertips. On Saturday, December 14th, Aviani tallied his 25th goal of the season while adding four assists for a five-point effort, earning 1st Star honors, in a 6-3 win over the visiting Prince George Cougars. On Sunday, December 15th, Aviani tallied the game-winning goal and was named the game’s 2nd Star in a 2-0 shutout win over the Silvertips in Everett, WA.
Aviani, a 20-year-old product of North Vancouver, B.C., is in his fourth season and final campaign in the WHL with the Spokane Chiefs. He currently ranks among the WHL scoring leaders with 26 goals and 50 points in 35 games this season. The Chiefs’ fifth-round pick, 104th overall, in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft, Aviani has played 239 career regular-season games for the Chiefs, netting 77 goals and 99 assists for 176 points.
The WHL has also nominated Patrik Bartosak of the Red Deer Rebels for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. A 20-year-old from Koprivnice, Czech Republic, Bartosak posted a 2-0 record with a shutout in two starts last week, allowing just two goals on 79 shots for a 0.96 goals-against average and a .975 save percentage in that span. On Friday, December 13th, Bartosak turned aside all 35 shots he faced to record his second shutout of the season while also earning 1st Star honors in a 4-0 win over the Kootenay Ice in Cranbrook, B.C.
On Saturday, December 14th, Bartosak stopped 42 of 44 shots in regulation play and turned aside five of six shootout attempts while being named the game’s 1st Star in a 3-2 shootout win over the visiting Lethbridge Hurricanes. Bartosak is in his third season in the WHL with the Rebels. The Los Angeles Kings prospect currently owns a 2.90 goals-against average and a .919 save percentage in 29 starts for Red Deer. He was selected by the Rebels in the first round, 59th overall, in the 2011 CHL Import Draft.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani, Spokane Chiefs
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Ryan Pulock, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Matt Pufahl, Everett Silvertips
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Julius Honka, Swift Current Broncos