by Jeff Hubert
December 26, 2013, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that a total of 55 current CHL players are listed on official International Ice Hockey Federation rosters and are competing in the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship underway in Malmo, Sweden.
The 55 players includes a representative from all 10 participating countries including Canada who leads the way with 21 CHL players followed by the Czech Republic with eight players, Switzerland and Germany with six players each, while Finland, Russia, Sweden, and the United States each have three CHL players, followed by Norway and Slovakia with one.
In addition to the 55 current CHL players, five competing players are former CHL players, while seven non-CHL players participated in the 2013 SUBWAY Super Series with Russia.
The Ontario Hockey League leads the way with 23 players competing in the tournament followed by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and the Western Hockey Junior Hockey League with 16 players each. 35 of the CHL’s 60 clubs are represented in the event with the OHL’s London Knights producing a CHL-high five competing players.
A total of eight CHL players also competed in the Division IA IIHF World Junior Championship from December 15-21 in Poland where Denmark emerged victorious with a 5-0 record led by tournament top forward Oliver Bjorkstrand of the Portland Winterhawks. Denmark will join the Top Division at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship next year in Toronto and Montreal.
Last season, 72 CHL players competed in the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia.
CHL Players Competing at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship December 26 to January 5:
- Josh Anderson (London Knights)
- Chris Bigras (Owen Sound Attack)
- Jonathan Drouin (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Aaron Ekblad (Barrie Colts)
- Zachary Fucale (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Frédérik Gauthier (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Bo Horvat (London Knights)
- Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
- Scott Laughton (Oshawa Generals)
- Curtis Lazar (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Taylor Leier (Portland Winterhawks)
- Anthony Mantha (Val-d’Or Foreurs)
- Connor McDavid (Erie Otters)
- Josh Morrissey (Prince Albert Raiders)
- Jake Paterson (Saginaw Spirit)
- Adam Pelech (Erie Otters)
- Nic Petan (Portland Winterhawks)
- Derrick Pouliot (Portland Winterhawks)
- Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Sam Reinhart (Kootenay Ice)
- Kerby Rychel (Guelph Storm)
In addition, Mathew Dumba is a former member of the Red Deer Rebels.
Czech Republic (8):
- Radek Faksa (Kitchener Rangers)
- Jan Kostalek (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Marek Langhamer (Medicine Hat Tigers)
- David Nemecek (Saskatoon Blades)
- Michal Plutnar (Tri-City Americans)
- Petr Sidlik (Victoriaville Tigres)
- Dominik Volek (Red Deer Rebels)
- Patrik Zdrahal (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Julius Honka (Swift Current Broncos)
- Henri Ikonen (Kingston Frontenacs)
- Mikko Vainonen (Kingston Frontenacs)
- Tim Bender (London Knights)
- Marvin Cupper (Shawinigan Cataractes)
- Leon Draisaitl (Prince Albert Raiders)
- Markus Eisenschmid (Medicine Hat Tigers)
- Dominik Kahun (Sudbury Wolves)
- Maximilian Kammerer (Regina Pats)
- Jorgen Karterud (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
- Ivan Barbashev (Moncton Wildcats)
- Nikita Zadorov (London Knights)
- Valentin Zykov (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
In addition, Mikhail Grigorenko is a former member of the Quebec Remparts.
The following 7 Russian players also competed in the entire 2013 SUBWAY Super Series against the CHL’s three regional league teams.
- Alexander Barabanov (VMF St. Petersburg)
- Alexei Bereglazov (Stalnye Lisy, Magnitogorsk)
- Georgi Busarov (Dizel Penza)
- Eduard Gimatov (Avto Yekaterinburg)
- Kirill Maslov (Loko Yaroslavl)
- Ivan Nalimov (VMF-Karalia St. Petersburg)
- Nikolai Skladnichenko (Kuznetskie Medvedi)
- Martin Reway (Gatineau Olympiques)
- Andre Burakovsky (Erie Otters)
- Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters)
- Nick Sorensen (Quebec Remparts)
- Phil Baltisberger (Guelph Storm)
- Jason Fuchs (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies)
- Fabrice Herzog (Quebec Remparts)
- Mirco Mueller (Everett Silvertips)
- Vincent Praplan (North Bay Battalion)
- Yannick Rathgeb (Plymouth Whalers)
In addition, Lukas Balmelli is a former member of the Drummondville Voltigeurs.
United States (3):
- Adam Erne (Quebec Remparts)
- Ryan Hartman (Plymouth Whalers)
- Anthony Stolarz (London Knights)
In addition, Connor Carrick is a former member of the Plymouth Whalers, and Stefan Matteau is a former member of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.
CHL Players who Competed at IIHF World Junior Championship Division IA December 15-21:
- Layne Viveiros (Portland Winterhawks)
- Oliver Bjorkstrand (Portland Winterhawks)
- Mads Eller (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Nikolaj Ehlers (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Georgs Golovkovs (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
- Roberts Lipsbergs (Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Edgars Kulda (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Nikita Jevpalovs (Blainville-Boisbriand Armada)
For more information about the 2014 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship and for complete team rosters please visit www.worldjunior2014.com.