by Jeff Hubert
January 7, 2014, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Kelowna Rockets’ forward Myles Bell is the CHL Player of the Week for the week ending January 5 after scoring five goals with five assists for 10 points along with a plus-minus rating of plus-6 in four games.
Bell helped the CHL’s top ranked Rockets win three of their four games last week to maintain first place in the WHL standings where they currently have 68 points in 39 games with a 33-4-0-2 record. Last Tuesday night in the first of two straight games in Portland, Bell scored once and added two assists as part of a 9-3 victory over the Winterhawks to close out the 2013 calendar.
Then on Thursday in his first game of 2014, Bell recorded his first four-point game of the season earning first star honours with two goals including the game-winner plus two assists in a 7-2 win over the Winterhawks. Bell was held without a point on Friday as the Vancouver Giants snapped the Rockets’ 16-game winning-streak with a 4-2 victory. On Saturday night, Bell and the Rockets’ responded with a 4-2 victory of their own against the Giants where he claimed first star honours with two goals including another game-winner plus an assist to give the Rockets their 17th win in their last 18 games going back to November 22.
Bell, a 20-year-old from Calgary, AB, is playing in his fifth WHL season and third with the Rockets. Selected by the New Jersey Devils in the sixth round of the 2013 NHL Draft, Bell leads the Rockets with 23 goals and ranks second on the team with 43 points in 37 games.
Also considered for the award this week was Matt Rupert of the London Knights who scored six goals and three assists for nine points in three games, and defenceman Ryan Culkin who scored two goals and two assists for four points in two games with the Quebec Remparts.
2013-14 CHL Players of the Week:
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Myles Bell (Kelowna Rockets)
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani (Spokane Chiefs)
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Andreas Athanasiou (Barrie Colts)
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl (Prince Albert Raiders)
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Zac Leslie (Guelph Storm)
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Jonathan Drouin (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Martin Reway (Gatineau Olympiques)
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk (Brandon Wheat Kings)
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Darcy Ashley (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Scott Kosmachuk (Guelph Storm)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Anthony Mantha (Val-d’Or Foreurs)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley (Kelowna Rockets)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg (Spokane Chiefs)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Michael Dal Colle (Oshawa Generals)