January 8, 2014 Ottawa (ISN) – Twenty outstanding women have been named by the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) to the Most Influential Women in Sport and Physical Activity List of 2013.
CAAWS publishes its Most Influential Women List annually to celebrate and highlight Canadian leaders who influenced sport and physical activity in Canada and on the international stage.
“This is the 12th edition of the CAAWS Most Influential Women List and it is great to see the number of strong leaders who contribute so much to our country and on the international scene,” said CAAWS Executive Director Karin Lofstrom (Ottawa, Ontario). “Our goal is to assist in raising the profile of these leaders as well as celebrate women who make a significant contribution to physical activity through to high performance.”
The 2013 List includes athletes, officials, coaches, professors, administrators and volunteers. A few of the women have been named to the List several times, such as Anne Merklinger (Own the Podium) Caroline Assalian (Canadian Olympic Committee); while some are newcomers such as Monique Levebvre (AlterGo), Michelle Stilwell (Paralympian), Carol Huynh (Olympian) and Jane Riddell (GoodLife Fitness Clubs Inc.).
THE CAAWS MOST INFLUENTIAL WOMEN LIST FOR 2013 IS (alphabetical order):
Note: Profiles and photos of all women on the MIW List.
- Caroline ASSALIAN, Chief Sport Officer, Canadian Olympic Committee (Montreal, QC)
- Beverly BOYS, Official; “A Level” International judge; coach / diving (Surrey, BC)
- Jill BREWER, Coach; Mentor; Master Learning Facilitator and Evaluator / diving (St. John’s, NL)
- Jennifer CAMPBELL, Chef de mission of Team Canada, Special Olympics (Winnipeg, MB)
- Jane EDSTROM, Official, International Association of Athletics Federations / athletics (Winnipeg, MB)
- Cyndie FLETT, VP Research and Development, Coaching Association of Canada (Ottawa, ON)
- Jennifer HEIL, Because I am a Girl Campaign / freestyle skiing (Spruce Grove, AB)
- Kaillie HUMPHRIES, Olympian; role model / bobsleigh (Calgary, AB)
- Carol HUYNH, FILA Panellist to IOC to Save Olympic Wrestling / wrestling (Hazelton, AB)
- Monique LEFEBVRE, Executive Director, AlterGo; founder of Défi sportif AlterGo (Montreal, QC)
- Monique F. LEROUX, President, Sherbrooke 2013 Canada Summer Games (Montreal, QC)
- Anne MERKLINGER, CEO, Own the Podium; Board, Special Olympics Canada (Ottawa, ON)
- Dr. Jane MORAN, Chair, International Skating Union’s Medical Commission / figure skating (Victoria, BC)
- Dr. Margo MOUNTJOY, FINA Sports Medicine Committee; IOC Medical Commission (Guelph, ON)
- Jane RIDDELL, COO GoodLife Fitness Clubs Inc. / fitness (London, ON)
- Christine SINCLAIR, Captain, Canadian Women’s Soccer Team / soccer (Burnaby, BC)
- Tricia SMITH, VP, International Rowing Federation / rowing (Vancouver, BC)
- Michelle STILWELL, Paralympian; MLA; Advocate / basketball & athletics (Parksville, BC)
- Lisa THOMAIDIS, Head coach, Canada’s senior women’s basketball team / basketball (Dundas, ON)
- Dr. Joan WHARF HIGGINS, Professor & Research Chair; Volunteer / physical education (Victoria, BC)
Each year, in addition to publishing its Most Influential Women in Sport and Physical Activity List (MIW), CAAWS also highlights Ones to Watch. For 2013, CAAWS has selected the following women as Ones to Watch in order to highlight their initiatives and impact: Andrea BRAZEAU and Julia ST-AUBIN (Kangiqsualujjuaq, QC); Ashley HOWARD (Vancouver, BC); Monali PATEL (Kitchener ON); and Carrie SERWETNYK (Mississauga, ON).
The final List was compiled by a CAAWS selection panel, from both public nominations and from contributions from knowledgeable sport and physical activity leaders. The panel reviewed the submissions and based its decision on accomplishment and scope of activities in the 2013 calendar year. Past Lists can be found at http://www.caaws.ca/influentialwomen/e/past_lists.htm