by Marina Hawkeswood
January 23, 2014, Whistler, BC (ISN) – With only a few weeks to go before the start of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games and just over five weeks until the Paralympic Games, the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific is hosting a ‘Celebrate Sochi’ event at the Whistler Athletes’ Centre.
With support from the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development and Whistler Sport Legacies, the public and media are invited to applaud the outstanding group of Sochi-bound athletes, coaches and mission staff who live and/or train in British Columbia.
Under the theme of the ‘WE CAN Campaign’, which backs Own the Podium’s bold mission to contend for number one during the 2014 Olympic Winter Games (total medals) and place in the top three in the gold medal count at the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, the community will hear from local Olympians and sport leaders while having the opportunity to take part in activities such as the ParticipACTION Bring Back Winter Play Tour, and bobsleigh rides on a 60 metre outdoor push track.
- Minister Coralee Oakes, Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
- Mark Hope, Chair, Canadian Sport Institute Pacific
- Marielle Thompson, Ski Cross 2013 World Championship Silver Medallist
- Kelsey Serwa, Ski Cross 2011 World Champion, 2010 Olympian
- Ashleigh McIvor, Sochi 2014 CBC Colour Commentator, Ski Cross 2010 Olympic Gold Medallist
- Spring Creek Community School Students, 80 Grade 4 & 5 Students
Whistler Athletes’ Centre – High Performance Training Centre Lobby
1090 Legacy Way
Whistler, BC, V0N 1B1
- Tues, January 28th, 10am -11am
WE CAN Video Premiere
Remarks from Minister Oakes, Mark Hope, Marielle Thompson and Ashleigh McIvor
Outdoor and Indoor Activities
- Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton Push Bobsleigh – Free 60 metre rides for adults and kids
- ParticipACTION Funmobile – Bring Back Winter Play tour: fun snow games using simple equipment like balls, hula hoops, skipping ropes etc. to encourage kids to get playing.
- Whistler Gymnastics Demo – Live demonstration on trampolines in Whistler Gymnastics Studio by development level freestyle moguls athletes
One-on-one media interview opportunities with speakers and athletes.