by Graham Kendrick
February 4, 2014, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Phoenix Coyotes prospect Brendan Burke of the Portland Winterhawks is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending February 2 after posting two shutout victories in as many starts with a perfect goals-against-average of 0.00 and save percentage of 1.000.
Burke stopped all 48 shots he faced in two starts backstopping the defending WHL champion Winterhawks to a pair of victories extending the club’s winning-streak to 10 games. On Friday night Burke earned first star honours making 32 saves in a 6-0 win over the Spokane Chiefs, then stopped all 16 shots he faced for his second straight shutout earning third star honours in a 3-0 win over the Seattle Thunderbirds. The Winterhawks remain in second place in the WHL’s Western Conference standings with 77 points.
Burke, an 18-year-old from Scottsdale, AZ, is playing in his third WHL season with the Winterhawks. Selected by the Coyotes in the sixth round of the 2013 NHL Draft, Burke currently has a 29-10-2-2 record with three shutout victories along with a 2.82 goals-against-average and a .909 save percentage in 43 appearances this season.
Also considered for the award this week was Dalen Kuchmey of the Windsor Spitfires with two wins in two starts including a shutout victory with a goals-against-average of 0.50 and save percentage of .982, while François Tremblay of the Victoriaville Tigres posted a 3-0-0-0 record with one shutout win along with a goals-against-average of 1.67 and save percentage of .952.
2013-14 Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week:
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Brendan Burke (Portland Winterhawks)
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Patrik Bartosak (Red Deer Rebels)
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Taran Kozun (Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters)
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Franky Palazzese (Sudbury Wolves)
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Matthew Mancina (Guelph Storm)
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters)
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Matt Mahalak (Kingston Frontenacs)
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Patrik Polivka (Victoria Royals)
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Francois Brassard (Quebec Remparts)
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Tristan Jarry (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Spencer Martin (Mississauga Steelheads)
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Jordon Cooke (Kelowna Rockets)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Philippe Cadorette (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville Tigres)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Ty Edmonds (Prince George Cougars)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Sebastien Auger (Saint John Sea Dogs)