by Rebecca Connop Price
February 8, 2014, Vancouver BC (ISN) – Some familiar names are vying for B.C.’s curling crown as the 2014 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship goes into the playoffs.
The Vernon/Kelowna rink of Jim Cotter, Rick Sawatsky, Tyrel Griffith and Olympic champion John Morris will face former Brier and world champion Brent Pierce in a battle for the bye to the final tomorrow (Sunday). Pierce and his Royal City rink of Sean Geall, throwing fourth rocks, Sebastien Robillard and Mark Olson have all been close to a BC title for the past few years but have narrowly missed out.
And fighting for a spot in the semis is the Vancouver Island rink of Jason Montgomery and the Kimberley rink of Tom Buchy.
The prize will be a trip to the 2014 Tim Hortons Brier in Kamloops March 1-9.
Play is set to go ahead at the Vancouver Curling Club at the Hillcrest Centre, the home of curling at the 2010 Winter Olympics, at 11am today (Saturday).
The winner of the Page 1-2 playoffs (Morris vs Pierce) will go straight to the final, with the loser going on to the semis. The winner of the Page 3-4 playoffs will meet them in the semis, with the loser dropping out.
The semi finals later today (7pm) and the finals tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 9, 4pm) will be televised on Sportsnet. Visit http://www.curlbc.ca/communications/tv-schedules/ for the TV schedule.
Visit http://playdowns.com/curlbc/event.php?id_cmp=560 to see results of all the draws and to see the draw format (under draw brackets).
Team Buchy – Kimberley
- Skip: Tom Buchy – Kimberley
- Third: Fred Thomson – Nelson
- Second: Dave Toffolo – Kimberley
- Lead: Darren Will – Fernie
Team Montgomery – Duncan
- Skip: Jason Montgomery – Duncan
- Third: Jody Epp – Victoria
- Second: Miles Craig – Shawnigan Lake
- Lead: Will Duggan – Mill Bay
Team Morris – Kelowna/Vernon
- Fourth: Jim Cotter – Vernon
- Skip: John Morris – Chestermere, Alberta
- Second: Tyrel Griffith – Kelowna
- Lead: Rick Sawatsky – Kelowna
Team Pierce – Royal City
- Fourth: Sean Geall – Maple Ridge
- Skip: Brent Pierce – New Westminster
- Second: Sebastien Robillard – Burnaby
- Lead: Mark Olson – White Rock
- Fifth: Ken Maskiewich
- Coach: Katie Witt – Coquitlam