Saanich Braves full color logo

Story by Christian J. Stewart (ISN)

February 8, 2014, Parksville, BC (ISN) – Oceanside’s Travis Flug scored the game winner 35 seconds into the second overtime, as the Generals defeated the Saanich Braves 4-3 in VIJHL action Saturday night in Parksville.

The Oceanside victory put the damper on a Braves third period comeback that saw them notch three unanswered goals, including one at the closing buzzer by Jake Daughtry that sent the game into OT.

The Generals jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a buzzer beater of their own at the end of the first period, as Logan Savard found himself alone in the high slot and fired a shot into the top corner past a partially screened Jason Stewart who started between the pipes for the Braves.

The Generals could have come away with much more in the frame, firing 14 shots at the Braves, but some big saves by Stewart kept them off the board until that late goal.

In the second, the Generals would add to their lead with 7:53 remaining when Jarrett Weme wrapped one in from behind the net, finding a gap behind the knee of Stewart.

The Gens took what appeared to be a commanding 3-0 lead very early in the third period when Wyatt Petryshen stood in the high slot and made a perfect tip of a Liam Peel point shot while on the power play.

The Braves began their comeback with 15:22 remaining in the period when defenseman Chris Carpentier snuck in from the point and banged a rebound past Generals goaltender Liam Giroux.

The Braves continued to pressure the Generals, even having a second goal waived off, but with 1:25 remaining, a nice individual effort from Saanich’s Sasha Hahn saw the Braves move within one.

Then with the goalie pulled, Jake Daughtry jammed home the game tying goal with just 0.3 seconds remaining to send the Game into OT.

A nail-biting 4-on-4 overtime saw great chances for both sides, but neither team could capitalize and the teams went to a 3-on-3 second overtime.

In that frame, Flug picked up a puck on the right wing and fired a laser beam that beat Stewart blocker side to give the Generals the win.

The Generals Giroux stopped 31 of 34 Braves shots for the win, while Stewart stopped 31 of 35 in the losing cause.

The win was just the Generals 7th on the season, while the Braves fell to their 11th loss in a row.

With the single point however, the Braves clinched the final playoff seed and will move up to the North Division where they will play either Campbell River or Comox, whoever finishes first.

The Braves are next in action on Friday night February 14 when they host these same Generals at Pearkes Arena for the last regular season home game of the year. Puck drop is at 6:30 pm.