by Jeff Hubert
February 10, 2014, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Kootenay Ice forward Sam Reinhart is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending February 9, 2014.
Reinhart netted three goals and eight assists for 11 points to go with a +8 rating in three games over the past week, leading the Ice to three straight wins in that span.
On Tuesday, February 4th, Reinhart scored once and added four assists for a five-point effort while claiming 2nd Star honors in a 6-3 victory over the visiting Saskatoon Blades. On Friday, February 7th, Reinhart tallied a goal and two assists to lead the Ice to an 8-1 win over the Hurricanes in Lethbridge, AB. On Saturday, February 8th, he extended his point streak to 13 games with a goal and two assists while earning 1st Star honors in a 4-2 triumph over the visiting Hurricanes.
Reinhart, an 18-year-old from Vancouver, B.C., is in his third season in the WHL with the Kootenay Ice. He is currently tied for fourth in WHL scoring with 76 points in just 43 games. Selected by the Ice in the first round, 15th overall, in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft, Reinhart has amassed 92 goals and 225 points in 186 career regular-season games. Reinhart, the 2011-12 WHL Rookie of the Year, is eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft.
The WHL has also nominated Taran Kozun of the Seattle Thunderbirds for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. A 19-year-old product of Nipawin, SK, Kozun posted back-to-back shutouts in two appearances over the past week, stopping all 64 shots fired his way. On Wednesday, February 5th, Kozun made 29 saves and was the game’s 2nd Star in a 4-0 shutout win over the Chiefs in Spokane. He followed up with a 35-save performance, earning 1st Star honors, in another 4-0 shutout win over the visiting Chiefs on Friday, February 7th. Kozun is in his second full WHL campaign. He was acquired by the Thunderbirds from Kamloops at the WHL trade deadline, and has posted a 9-1-0 record with four shutouts in 10 games with the Thunderbirds.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Feb. 3 – Feb. 9: Sam Reinhart, Kootenay Ice
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Derrick Pouliot, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Todd Fiddler, Prince George Cougars
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani, Spokane Chiefs
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Ryan Pulock, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Matt Pufahl, Everett Silvertips
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Julius Honka, Swift Current Broncos