by Jeff Hubert
February 11, 2014, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that 2014 NHL Draft prospect Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice is the CHL Player of the Week for the week ending February 9 after recording 11 points in three games scoring three goals with eight assists and a plus-minus rating of plus-8.
Reinhart helped lead the WHL’s Eastern Conference fifth place Ice to three straight wins last week extending the club’s winning-streak to five with wins in nine of their past 10 games.
Reinhart matched a career-high with five points last Tuesday night netting a goal and four assists to claim second star honours in a 6-3 victory over the Saskatoon Blades. He finished the week with a pair of three-point games against the Lethbridge Hurricanes including a goal and two assists on Friday in an 8-1 win, then on Saturday with another goal and two assists as first star of a 4-2 victory.
Reinhart, an 18-year-old from Vancouver, BC, is playing in his third WHL season with the Ice. Eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft, Reinhart was ranked fourth by NHL Central Scouting in their Midterm Rankings and is now tied for fourth in WHL scoring with 76 points in 43 games and is currently riding a 13-game point streak.
Also considered for the award this week was fellow 2014 NHL Draft prospect Nick Ritchie of the Peterborough Petes who scored six goals and two assists for eight points in four games, and Detroit Red Wings prospect and QMJHL Top Scorer Anthony Mantha of the Val-d’Or Foreurs with five goals and four assists for nine points in three games.
2013-14 CHL Players of the Week:
- Feb. 3 – Feb. 9: Sam Reinhart (Kootenay Ice)
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Anthony Duclair (Quebec Remparts)
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Anthony Duclair (Quebec Remparts)
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Jonathan Drouin (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Connor Brown (Erie Otters)
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Myles Bell (Kelowna Rockets)
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani (Spokane Chiefs)
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Andreas Athanasiou (Barrie Colts)
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl (Prince Albert Raiders)
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Zac Leslie (Guelph Storm)
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Jonathan Drouin (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Martin Reway (Gatineau Olympiques)
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk (Brandon Wheat Kings)
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Darcy Ashley (Halifax Mooseheads)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Scott Kosmachuk (Guelph Storm)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Anthony Mantha (Val-d’Or Foreurs)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley (Kelowna Rockets)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg (Spokane Chiefs)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Michael Dal Colle (Oshawa Generals)