CIS women’s hockey Wednesday roundup: Laurier’s Skeats nets hat-trick in win over Varsity Blues


Photo Credit: Adam Gagnon

Queen’s 2 Guelph 1 Final – 3OT BoxScore
OUA semi-final 2 – Game 1

Source: Guelph Sports Info

Guelph, Ont. – Shawna Griffin scored at 16:29 of the thirdovertime period to lead the Queen’s Gaels women’shockey team to a 2-1 win over the home team Gryphons in the firstgame of the best-of-three OUA semi final series Wednesday night inGuelph.

With time winding down in the third overtime period, the Gaelsregular season leading goal scorer Shawna Griffin found the back ofthe net following a scramble in the crease.

Guelph goaltender Stephanie Nehring (Oshawa, Ont.) stopped 29 of31 shots while Mel Dodd-Moher saved 42 of 43 shots.

The Gaels started the game with a power play early on in thefirst period after Gryphons player; Amanda Parkins was called fortripping at 2:43. Queen’s was quick to set up in front of thenet and scored their first goal of the game and their only goal inregulation less than ten seconds into the man advantage with a shotfrom Jessica Wakefield that would make it 1-0 at 2:51 in the firstperiod, with Marie-Pierre Pelissou on the assist. The Gryphonswould pick up the intensity as the period progressed out shootingthe Gaels with a total of 10-6 in the first period.

The game would stay at 1-0 for the majority of the regulationtime, with the Gryphons struggling to get a shot past the Gaelgoalie Mel Dodd-Moher. The Gryphons would not get a point on theboard until the last few minutes of play when Kimberley Wong wouldfinally tie up the game at 1-1 at 18:44 in the third period, withChristine Grant and Emily Corbett on the assists.

With the two teams deadlocked at one, the game headed intoovertime. With the evenly matched teams both fighting aggressivelyfor the game-winning goal fatigue began to slip into the play ofboth teams sending the contest to three overtime periods. In theend it was the Gaels who would pull out the overtime win.

The series will now move to Kingston with game two taking placeon Friday, February 21 at 7:30 p.m. Game three will take place backin Guelph on Sunday, February 23 at 2:00 p.m.

Playoff History between Gaels & Gryphons: In 2010-11 theGaels defeated the Gryphons in two overtime games in the OUAChampionship Finals by scores of 2-1 (6-OT) and 3-2 (OT)….In2012-13 the Gaels defeated the Gryphons in two straight games ofOUA semi-finals….The last time the Gryphons defeated theGaels in the playoffs was in 2009-10 by scores of 7-4 and 5-2 toadvance to the OUA finals vs. Laurier.

Toronto 1 Laurier 4 Final BoxScore
OUA semi-final 1 – Game 1

Source: Jamie Howieson, Laurier Sports Info

WATERLOO, Ont. – For the second time in her career, forward DevonSkeats of Whitby, Ont., recorded a hat-trick in a playoff game asshe led the No. 4 Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women’s hockey teamto a 4-1 victory over the No. 7 Toronto Varsity Blues on Wednesdaynight at the Waterloo Recreation Complex.

Skeats, whose first playoff hat-trick came against the StFXX-Women in the CIS Championship in her rookie season, notched hersecond, third and fourth goals of the playoffs as Laurier grabbed a1-0 series lead over Toronto in the best-of-three OUASemifinal.

Emily Kekewich of Kingston, Ont., was the Hawks other goalscorer as she recorded the game-winning goal with her first careerplayoff tally.

Rookie goalie Amanda Smith of Burlington, Ont., was also a difference maker for the Golden Hawks in this game as she stopped 30of the 31 shots she faced, including all 15 in the opening period,to earn her second career playoff victory.

Taylor Day of Ilderton, Ont., scored Toronto’s lone goal whilegoalie Nicole Kesteris of Aurora, Ont., suffered the loss afterallowing three goals on 30 shots.

Despite the scoreline, it was a nervous start for the purple andgold as Toronto came flying out of the gate. The Varsity Bluesoutshot the Hawks 15-8 and had three power play opportunities inthe opening 20 minutes but some strong goaltending from Smith keptthem off the board.

Laurier slowly started to turn their game around in the secondperiod and finally broke the scoreless deadlock at the 13:04 markof the second period when Skeats fired home her first of the game.That scoreline would hold but Laurier had swung momentum in theirfavour as they outsh ot Toronto 13-10 in the period.

The Hawks carried their strong play into the third and grabbedthe lead when Kekewich finished off her first goal since January11, 2013. Skeats would stretch the lead to two with her second ofthe game just three minutes later. The lone assist on her goal wentto Smith who was able to add a point to her nights work.

Although Day was able to cut into Laurier’s lead before thehalfway mark of the third, the Hawks defence would not allow themto get any closer as the Blues were held to just six shots in thefinal frame. Skeats would round out the scoring with an empty netgoal to seal the victory.

The Hawks will now look to wrap up the series on the road whenthey travel to Toronto on Friday, February 21 for Game 2. Puck dropis set for 7:30 p.m. at Varsity Arena and the game will be webcastlive on

NOTE: The start time of the game was delayed by 45 minutes dueto the Varsity Blues getting stuck in traffic on the 401

Scott Harrigan
Your #1 source for community and amateur sports related news on Vancouver Island, British Columbia and beyond! Send stories to