by Rebecca Connop Price
February 24, 2014, Courtenay, BC (ISN) – Vancouver Island curling teams were once again on the podium at a Curl BC championship event.
Victoria’s Wes Craig and Parksville’s Penny Shantz both went undefeated through the 2014 Tim Hortons BC Senior Curling Championships to secure gold and the chance to compete at nationals in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
The BC event was staged at the Comox Valley Curling Club in Courtenay, B.C. Chair of the host committee, Judy Francis, said: “The Comox Valley Curling Club had a wonderful time hosting these Senior Championships and were totally amazed by the support of both the club members and the Comox Valley community.”
Team Shantz and Team Craig are the fourth and fifth Vancouver Island teams to have won a BC curling title, after the Nanaimo teams of Van Osch (junior women’s and women’s) and de Jong (junior men’s). An Island men’s team (Team Montgomery from Duncan/Victoria) were silver medalists at the 2014 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship.
Team Shantz, rounded out by third Sandra Jenkins, second Debbie Pulak and lead Kate Horne, represent Parksville Curling Club, but two members of the team hail from Salmon Arm (Jenkins and Horne).
Team Craig, rounded out by third Blair Cusack, second Tony Anslow and lead Kevin Britt, and coached by Roselyn Craig, beat last year’s champions, Team Lepine in the final with a score of 8-5. The Victoria Curling Centre team – whose members hail from Victoria, Shawnigan Lake and Sooke – scored deuces in the fourth, sixth and eighth ends to secure their win. Craig Lepine skips the Peace Arch Curling Centre team, which is rounded out by Stan Walker, Berry Breton and new addition to the team this year Mike Pelech.
The women’s final between Team Shantz and Team Deputan was a close affair. Tied 3-3 going into the 10th end, Shantz managed to score a single point to take the lead and the gold medal. Team Deputan, from Chilliwack Curling Club, only lost to Team Shantz during the entire competition. The team, made up of skip Lisa Deputan, third Janet Klebe, second Laura Wigham and lead Jane Adam, took home the silver medals.
Bronze medals were awarded to Team Thulin, from Campbell River Curling Club, with Dean Thulin as skip, Lyle Boyce at third, Brad Sullivan at second and Tom Green at lead, and Team Blashko, from Summerland Curling Club, with Lil Blashko as skip, Cindy Curtain as third, Sylvia Lowe as second, Tammy Brennan as lead and Diane Tetreault as fifth.
To see the results of all the draws at Comox Valley Curling Club, visit www.playdowns.com and click on Curl BC.
Men’s Gold Medal Winners – Team Craig representing Victoria, left to right Lead: Kevin Britt, Second :Tony Anslow, Third: Blair Cusack, Skip : Wes Criag, chair of host committee Judy Francis.
Men’s Silver Medal Winners – Team Lepine representing Peace Arch, left to right, Chair of host committee Judy Francis Skip: Craig lepine, Third : Stan Walker, Second: Berry Breton, Lead Mike Pelech.
Ladies’ Gold Medal Winner s- Team Shantz representing Parksville, left to right, Chair of host committee Judy Francis Skip: Penny Shantz, Third: Sandra Jenkins, Second: Debbie Pulak, Lead: Kate Horne.
Ladies’ Silver Medal Winners – Team Deputan representing Chilliwack, left to right, Chair of host committee Judy Francis Skip: Lisa Deputan, Third: Janet Klebe, Second : Laura Wigham, Lead: Jane Adam.
- Team Craig – Victoria
- Skip: Wes Craig (Shawnigan Lake)
- Third: Blair Cusack (Sooke)
- Second: Tony Anslow (Victoria)
- Lead: Kevin Britt (Victoria)
- Team Lepine – Peace Arch
- Skip: Craig Lepine (Surrey)
- Third: Stan Walker (Vancouver)
- Second: Berry Breton (Surrey)
- Lead: Mike Pelech (Surrey)
- Team Thulin – Campbell River
- Skip: Dean Thulin (Campbell River)
- Third: Lyle Boyce (Campbell River)
- Second: Brad Sullivan (Campbell River)
- Lead: Tom Green (Campbell River)
- Team Shantz – Parksville
- Skip: Penny Shantz (Nanoose Bay)
- Third: Sandra Jenkins (Salmon Arm)
- Second: Debbie Pulak (Nanaimo)
- Lead: Kate Horne (Salmon Arm)
- Coach: Darryl Horne
- Team Deputan – Chilliwack
- Skip: Lisa Deputan (Chilliwack)
- Third: Janet Klebe (Chilliwack)
- Second: Laura Wigham (Chilliwack)
- Lead: Jane Adam (Rosedale)
- Coach: Doug Marshall
- Team Blashko – Summerland
- Skip: Lil Blashko (Kaleden)
- Third: Cindy Curtain (Penticton)
- Second: Sylvia Lowe (Oliver)
- Lead: Tammy Brennan (Summerland)
- Fifth: Diane Tetreault (Oliver)