March 1, 2014, IOWA CITY, Iowa (ISN) – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team improved to 6-3 on the season with a 7-0 blanking over Chicago State on Saturday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. This marks the second straight and fourth overall sweep for the Hawkeyes this season.
“We played well today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We came out strong at 2 and 3 doubles and carried the momentum over to singles.”
The Hawkeyes got off to a quick 1-0 lead after winning all three doubles matches.
Junior Morven McCulloch and freshman Aimee Tarun teamed up for the first time this season, posting an 8-0 victory at the No. 3 slot. The Hawkeyes picked up their second and third doubles victories with a pair of 8-2 victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions. The duo of junior Shelby Talcott and sophomore Annette Dohanics improved to 4-2 on the season.
“Nettie and I were able to convert what we’ve been working on in practice into our match and get a good win,” said sophomore Shelby Talcott. “I think we used that energy for singles, and our whole team was able to come out strong against a solid team.”
The Hawkeyes extended their lead to 3-0 early on in singles with straight set victories from freshman Aimee Tarun and junior Shelby Talcott at the No. 2 and 6 positions. Tarun remains undefeated on the season and improved her record to 3-0. Talcott picked up her seventh win of the season, a team high, and has now won five-straight singles matches.
Junior Ellen Silver sealed the victory for the Hawkeyes with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory over Hanna Pangestu. Silver is now 4-1 on the year and 3-0 at the No. 5 position.
Sophomore Annette Dohanics and junior Morven McCulloch added to Iowa’s lead with a pair of straight set victories at the No. 4 and 1 positions. Dohanics moves to 5-2 on the year. This was McCulloch’s first time competing at the No. 1 position this season. She now holds a 6-1 record.
After being down 3-2 in the first set at No. 3 singles, junior Katie Zordani came back to earn a 6-4 victory. She followed up with 6-3 win in the second set to give Iowa its final victory of the day. Zordani is now 3-0 at the No. 3 spot and holds a 6-2 record overall.
Next up for the Hawkeyes is a trip to Des Moines on Wednesday, March 5 for an instate matchup with Drake. Competition is slated for a 3:00 p.m. (CT) start time.
Iowa 7, Chicago State 0
- 1. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Utech, Kirsa (CSU) 7-5, 6-2
- 2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Perez-Ochoa, Marnie (CSU) 6-0, 6-3
- 3. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Lloyd, Carynne (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
- 4. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Huckabee, Faith (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
- 5. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Pangestu, Hanna (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
- 6. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Navarro, Sabrine (CSU) 6-1, 6-0
- 1. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Huckabee, Faith/Pangestu, Hanna (CSU) 8-2
- 2. Annette Dohanics/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Emeralda, Karyn/Perez-Ochoa, Marnie (CSU) 8-2
- 3. Morven McCulloch/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Lloyd, Carynne/Utech, Kirsa (CSU) 8-0
Order of Finish:
- Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,5,4,1,3)