by Jeff Hubert
March 3, 2014, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Brandon Wheat Kings’ forward Jayce Hawryluk is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending March 2, 2014. It’s the second Denny’s WHL Player of the Week award of the season for Hawryluk.
Hawryluk scored six goals and added four assists for 10 points along with a +6 rating in three games over the past week, helping the Wheat Kings post a 2-0-0-1 record in that span.
On Wednesday, February 26th, Hawryluk scored twice, including the game-winner, and added an assist while earning 1st Star honors in a 6-2 victory over the visiting Lethbridge Hurricanes. On Saturday, March 1st, he tallied two goals and three assists for five points while being named the game’s 1st Star in an 8-5 victory over the Blades in Saskatoon, SK. Hawryluk finished off the week with his third consecutive two-goal performance while claiming 2nd Star honors in a 4-3 shootout defeat in Swift Current, SK.
Hawryluk, an 18-year-old product of Roblin, MB, is in his second season in the Western Hockey League with the Brandon Wheat Kings, and currently leads the team in scoring with 24 goals and 64 points in 58 games. The Wheat Kings’ second-round pick, 32nd overall, in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, Hawryluk has amassed 42 goals and 107 points in 118 career WHL contests. He is eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft.
The WHL has also nominated Austin Lotz of the Everett Silvertips for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. An 18-year-old from St. Adolphe, MB, Lotz posted a 3-0-0-0 record in three starts over the past week, allowing four goals on 71 shots for a 1.33 goals-against average and a .944 save percentage in that span. On Wednesday, February 26th, Lotz made 18 saves on 19 shots as the Silvertips defeated the visiting Prince Albert Raiders 5-1. On Friday, February 28th, Lotz stopped 25 of 27 shots to backstop the Silvertips to a 3-2 victory over the visiting Tri-City Americans. On Sunday, he made 24 saves on 25 shots while claiming 1st Star honors in a 3-1 road victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds. Lotz is in his third season in the WHL with the Silvertips. A seventh-round pick, 150th overall, by Everett in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft, Lotz has appeared in 109 career regular-season games for the Silvertips, posting a 42-46-6-5 record with six shutouts. Lotz is eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Feb. 24 – Mar. 2: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Feb. 17 – Feb. 23: Morgan Klimchuk, Regina Pats
- Feb. 10 – Feb. 16: Taylor Leier, Portland Winterhawks
- Feb. 3 – Feb. 9: Sam Reinhart, Kootenay Ice
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Derrick Pouliot, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Todd Fiddler, Prince George Cougars
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani, Spokane Chiefs
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Ryan Pulock, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Matt Pufahl, Everett Silvertips
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Julius Honka, Swift Current Broncos