by Jeff Hubert
March 17, 2014, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Prince Albert Raiders’ forward Collin Valcourt is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending March 16, 2014.
Valcourt tallied five goals and six assists for 11 points along with a +6 rating in four games over the past week, leading the Raiders to a 2-2-0-0 record in that span as they clinched a spot in the tiebreaker game for the eighth and final playoff berth in the WHL Eastern Conference.
On Tuesday, March 11, Valcourt scored once and added two assists for three points in a 6-3 road loss to the Moose Jaw Warriors. On Wednesday, March 12, he scored the Raiders’ only goal in a 7-1 defeat to the Wheat Kings in Brandon, MB. On Friday, March 14, Valcourt netted two goals and two assists with a +4 rating while earning 1st Star honors in a 7-2 triumph over the visiting Saskatoon Blades. Valcourt finished the regular season with a goal and two assists in a 6-4 victory over the Blades in Saskatoon.
Valcourt, who turns 21 on March 18th, is in his fourth and final campaign in the Western Hockey League, and first season with the Prince Albert Raiders. Originally listed by the Spokane Chiefs, Valcourt has played 266 career regular-season games for the Chiefs, Saskatoon Blades and the Raiders, scoring 76 goals and 168 points. Valcourt is a free agent.
The WHL has also nominated Brendan Burke of the Portland Winterhawks for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week award. A 19-year-old from Scottsdale, Arizona, Burke appeared in three games over the past week for the Winterhawks, posting a 3-0-0-0 record with a shutout while allowing just four goals on 80 shots for a 1.33 goals-against average and a .950 save percentage in that span. On Wednesday, March 12, Burke returned from injury to stop 18 of 20 shots as the Winterhawks edged the visiting Tri-City Americans 3-2 in overtime. On Friday, March 14, Burke stopped 30 of 32 shots he faced as the Winterhawks posted a 5-2 road win over the Seattle Thunderbirds.
On Saturday, March 15, he turned aside all 28 shots he faced to record his fourth shutout of the season while being named the game’s 3rd Star in a 7-0 win over the visiting Thunderbirds. A third-round pick, 49th overall, in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft, Burke has appeared in 99 career regular-season games for Portland, posting a 65-17-4-3 record with eight shutouts. Burke was selected in the sixth round, 163rd overall, by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 2013 NHL Draft.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Mar. 10 – Mar. 16: Collin Valcourt, Prince Albert Raiders
- Mar. 3 – Mar. 9: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Feb. 24 – Mar. 2: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Feb. 17 – Feb. 23: Morgan Klimchuk, Regina Pats
- Feb. 10 – Feb. 16: Taylor Leier, Portland Winterhawks
- Feb. 3 – Feb. 9: Sam Reinhart, Kootenay Ice
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Derrick Pouliot, Portland Winterhawks
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Todd Fiddler, Prince George Cougars
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Myles Bell, Kelowna Rockets
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Mike Aviani, Spokane Chiefs
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Ryan Pulock, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Jayce Hawryluk, Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Josh Winquist, Everett Silvertips
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Matt Pufahl, Everett Silvertips
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Nick Merkley, Kelowna Rockets
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Mitch Holmberg, Spokane Chiefs
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Julius Honka, Swift Current Broncos