by Jackie Skender
March 19, 2014 (ISN) – Players from Volleyball Canada’s men’s full-time training centre (FTC) are heading to Montpellier, France, for the second year in a row.
They will train at the CREPS (Centre de Ressources d’Expertise et de Performance Sportive – www.creps-montpellier.org) in Montpellier, where athletes train similarly to the FTC athletes at the Centre Sportif de Gatineau, Quebec.
“This is great exposure for the guys – first to apply their skills that they’ve been working on at the full-time training centre, and also for the French league pro teams to see what young talent Canada has to offer,” explained men’s coach Vincent Pichette.
Once in France, the FTC players (roster below) will also get the opportunity to play against professional teams, including teams with Canadian pro players on them.
The schedule is as follows:
- Canada vs. Montpellier (France Pro A Team) on March 19
- Canada vs. the CNVB (CREPS athletes) on March 20
- Canada will face Alès (France Pro B team) on March 25
- Canada will face the CNVB (CREPS athletes) on March 26
- Canada will close the series by playing Sète (France Pro A Team) on March 27
The group will return to Canada to prepare for National B team tryouts, which begin in early May in Gatineau.
- Jonathan Sloane – Winchester, ON
- Lee Hamilton – Regina, SK
- Andrew Stephens – St. John’s, NL
- Mark Broome – Kelowna, BC
- Steven Marshall – Abbotsford, BC
- Jérémie Lortie – Ottawa, ON
- Dane Pischke – Winnipeg, MB
- Chris Voth – Winnipeg, MB
- Justin Boudreault – St-Joseph-de-Beauce, QC
- Felipe Humana Paredes – Toronto, ON