April 8, 2014, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Tristan Jarry of the Edmonton Oil Kings is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the playoff week ending April 6 after posting back-to-back shutouts in two appearances with a perfect goals-against-average of 0.00 and save percentage of 1.000.
Jarry earns the award for the second time this season after backstopping the first place Edmonton Oil Kings to a 2-0 series lead in the WHL’s Eastern Conference Semi-Finals against the seventh place Brandon Wheat Kings. He stopped all 44 shots he faced last week including a 15-save performance in Game 1 of the series on Thursday earning his first career playoff shutout as part of the Oil Kings 5-0 victory, then made 29 saves in Game 2 on Saturday night earning first star honours in the 3-0 victory.
Jarry, an 18-year-old from Delta, BC, is playing in his third career WHL season with the Oil Kings. Selected by the Penguins in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft, Jarry is the second straight Penguins prospect to claim the award following 2012 NHL Draft pick Matt Murray of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Jarry currently leads the WHL with a playoff goals-against-average of 1.50 and ranks second with a save percentage of .942. This season he led the WHL with 44 wins tying for first with eight shutouts while leading the league with a goals-against-average of 2.24 and was among the leaders with a .914 save percentage.
Also considered for the award this week was Carolina Hurricanes prospect Daniel Altshuller of the Oshawa Generals who also posted back-to-back shutouts making 40 straight saves in the OHL’s Eastern Conference Semi-Finals against the Peterborough Petes. In the QMJHL, Dallas Stars prospect Philippe Desrosiers of the Rimouski Oceanic earned two wins against the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada including one shutout with a goals-against-average of 1.00 and save percentage of .971.
2013-14 Playoff Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week:
- Mar. 31 – Apr. 6: Tristan Jarry (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Mar. 24 – Mar. 30: Matt Murray (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
- Mar. 17 – Mar. 23: Taran Kozun (Seattle Thunderbirds)
2013-14 Regular Season Vaughn CHL Goaltenders of the Week:
- Mar. 10 – Mar. 16: Philippe Cadorette (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- Mar. 3 – Mar. 9: Brandon Halverson (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
- Feb. 24 – Mar. 2: Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers)
- Feb. 17 – Feb. 23: Philippe Desrosiers (Rimouski Oceanic)
- Feb. 10 – Feb. 16: Jordan DeKort (Kitchener Rangers)
- Feb. 3 – Feb. 9: Taran Kozun (Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jan. 27 – Feb. 2: Brendan Burke (Portland Winterhawks)
- Jan. 20 – Jan. 26: Patrik Bartosak (Red Deer Rebels)
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 19: Taran Kozun (Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Jan. 6 – Jan. 12: Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters)
- Dec. 30 – Jan. 5: Franky Palazzese (Sudbury Wolves)
- Dec. 9 – Dec. 15: Matthew Mancina (Guelph Storm)
- Dec. 2 – Dec. 8: Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters)
- Nov. 25 – Dec. 1: Matt Mahalak (Kingston Frontenacs)
- Nov. 18 – Nov. 24: Patrik Polivka (Victoria Royals)
- Nov. 11 – Nov. 17: Francois Brassard (Quebec Remparts)
- Nov. 4 – Nov. 10: Tristan Jarry (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 3: Spencer Martin (Mississauga Steelheads)
- Oct. 21 – Oct. 27: Jordon Cooke (Kelowna Rockets)
- Oct. 14 – Oct. 20: Philippe Cadorette (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)
- Oct. 7 – Oct. 13: Brandon Whitney (Victoriaville Tigres)
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 6: Ty Edmonds (Prince George Cougars)
- Sept. 23 – Sept. 29: Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers)
- Sept. 19 – Sept. 22: Sebastien Auger (Saint John Sea Dogs)