May 2, 2014 (ISN) – The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has announced its shortlist for April’s Athlete of the Month award, and the public can now vote for the winner via the poll on the www.Paralympic.org homepage.
The month’s nominees include:
– Ali Jawad (Great Britain): He won gold in the men’s -59kg category at the IPC Powerlifting World Championships in Dubai, UAE, where he recorded a world-record lift of 190kg.
– Tatyana McFadden (USA): Just 32 days after winning Sochi 2014 silver, she raced to victory in the London Marathon women’s wheelchair race in a course-record time of 1:45.12. A week later, she won her second straight Boston Marathon in a time of 1:35.06 on her 25th birthday.
– Sherif Othman (Egypt): The double Paralympic champion broke his own world record four times on the way to winning gold in the men’s -54kg competition at the IPC Powerlifting World Championships. His best lift of 205kg was 24kg better than his previous record set just a year prior.
– Sarah Storey (Great Britain): She won gold in both the women’s 3km pursuit C5 and scratch race C1-5 at the UCI Para-Cycling Track World Championships in Aguascalientes, Mexico. She set a new world record of 3:32.050 in the pursuit and also won bronze in the 500m time trial C5 event.
– Ingrid Thunem (Norway): The S1 swimmer broke four world records at the 28th International Deutsche Maeisterschaft competition in Berlin, Germany, setting new top times in the women’s 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 100m backstroke and 150m individual medley.
The public now has until 12:00 (CEST) on 9 May to vote for which athlete it thought had the best performance last month.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) and International Federations (IFs).