June 10th, 2014, Vancouver, B.C. (VIGolf.ca) – The first of three RBC Canadian Open Regional Qualifiers took place Monday at Marine Drive Golf Club in Vancouver, B.C., with eight players finishing 2-over or better to make it through to the final Monday Qualifier of the 2014 RBC Canadian Open.
A total of 44 players competed over 18 holes of stroke play at Marine Drive with the top-15 percent of the field and ties (top seven competitors and ties) advancing to the final Monday Qualifier to be held Monday, July 21st at Club de Golf St-Raphaël in Île-Bizard, Que
Chris Williams of New York, N.Y. claimed medalist honours after posting 1-under 70 to advance through to final qualifying.
Langley B.C.’s Adam Cornelson finished at even-par in solo second, while Dakota Robinson of Discovery Bay, Calif., Alex Francois of Burnaby, B.C., and David Byrne of Essex, Ont. finished at 1-over in a tie for third.
Rounding out the list of players advancing to the final Monday qualifier for the 2014 RBC Canadian Open were Kevin Stinson of Mission, B.C., Roberto Lupini of Johannesburg, South Africa and Vancouver’s Ryan Williams after 2-over 74’s.
Below are final results from the 2014 RBC Canadian Open BC Regional Qualifier at Marine Drive Golf Club:
1. Chris Williams, New York, NY, *37-33-70 -1
2. Adam Cornelson, Langley, BC, *37-34-71 E
3. Dakota Robinson, Discovery Bay, CA, *37-35-72 +1
3. Alex Francois, Burnaby, BC, *36-36-72 +1
3. David Byrne, Essex, ON, *37-35-72 +1
6. Kevin Stinson, Mission BC, *37-36-73 +2
6. Roberto Lupini, Johannesburg, *36-37-73 +2
6. Ryan Williams, Vancouver, BC, *35-38-73 +2
— FAILED TO QUALIFY —
9. Roy Kang, North Vancouver, BC, *38-36-74 +3
9. Andrew Georgiou, Cape Town, South Africa, *39-35-74 +3
9. Jaewook Lee, Langley, BC, *38-36-74 +3
12. Jerry Christiansen, Air Ronge, SK, *40-35-75 +4
12. William Deck, Kelowna, BC, *40-35-75 +4
12. Cory Renfrew, Victoria, BC, *41-34-75 +4
12. James Seymour, Aurora, ON, *40-35-75 +4
16. Greg Pool, Vancouver, BC, *40-36-76 +5
16. Stuart MacDonald, Vancouver, BC, *40-36-76 +5
16. Bryon Thom, Squamish, BC, *40-36-76 +5
16. Jooho Lee, Coquitlam, BC, *40-36-76 +5
16. Jordan Lu, Vancouver, BC, *40-36-76 +5
21. Conrado Paderes, Vancouver, BC, *37-40-77 +6
21. Dave Aarons, Victoria, BC, *40-37-77 +6
21. Tony Mak, Vancouver, BC, *39-38-77 +6
24. Kieran Standen, Edmonton, AB, *42-36-78 +7
24. Ian (Jae Hoon) Kim, Surrey, BC, *42-36-78 +7
26. Emmett Oh, Calgary, AB, *42-37-79 +8
27. Trevor Yu, Vancouver, BC, *39-41-80 +9
27. Keith Westover, Vancouver, BC, *42-38-80 +9
29. Philip Mak, Vancouver, BC, *42-39-81 +10
29. James Decker, Vancouver, BC, *40-41-81 +10
29. Sadiq Jiwa, Vancouver, BC, *42-39-81 +10
32. Aaron Crawford, Calgary, AB, *42-40-82 +11
32. Kamyar Yamini, Vancouver, BC, *41-41-82 +11
32. Bryan Bessant, Surrey, BC, *41-41-82 +11
35. Noah Guise, Port Moody, BC, *40-44-84 +13
36. Pierce Kamensek, Vancouver, BC, *44-41-85 +14
37. Kyle Jeske, Edmonton, AB, *45-41-86 +15
38. Mike Agouros, Edmonton, AB, *47-40-87 +16
39. Simon Blaker, Langley, BC, *44-44-88 +17
39. Craig Keck, Calgary, AB, *44-44-88 +17
41. Jaesung Choi, Surrey, BC, *46-43-89 +18
42. Clint Foley, Richmond, BC, *49-41-90 +19
DID NOT FINISH
WD. Erik Seebach, Edmonton, AB, *
WD. Adam Doyle, Peoria, AZ, *
NS. Alexis Anghert, Québec, QC, *
NS. Spencer Lawson, Davidson, NC, *
A three-stage qualifying procedure for Canada’s National Open Championship features three regional qualifying competitions in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec, followed by a final qualifying event on Monday, July 21st.
The second regional qualifying event will be hosted by Elm Ridge Country Club in Île-Bizard, Que., on June 16th. The third and final regional qualifier will take place June 23rd at Whistle Bear Golf Club in Cambridge, Ont. A final qualifier will take place Monday July 21st at Club de Golf St-Raphaël in Île-Bizard, Que.
Each of the three regional qualifiers will feature 18 holes stroke play with the low qualifier at each site receiving an exemption directly into the 2014 RBC Canadian Open field (provided the starting field is a minimum of 100 competitors at each site.) The top 15% of finishers at each regional qualifying competition are eligible to compete at final qualifying. In addition, the top 15% does not include the low qualifier when over 100 competitors participate and a direct exemption is provided.
All entries for the Quebec regional qualifier at Elm Ridge Country Club in Île-Bizard, Que. are due Monday, June 9th. The entry deadline for the Ontario regional qualifier at Whistle Bear Golf Club in Cambridge, Ont. is Monday, June 16th.
Final qualifying is scheduled for Monday, July 21st at Club de Golf St-Raphaël in Île-Bizard, Que. Participation is limited to those competitors receiving requisite exemptions, or individuals who have qualified through regional qualifying. The event will feature 18 holes of stroke play, with a minimum of four (4) spots directly into the 2014 RBC Canadian Open field. The entry deadline is Monday, July 14th.
The qualifying competition is open to members in good standing of the PGA of Canada or other PGA affiliates, amateur golfers (with a current Handicap Factor not to exceed 2.0) who are members of clubs belonging to Golf Canada or clubs in other countries in good standing with their respective associations, and other golf professionals.
In all, a total of 24 exemptions, including the seven (7) awarded through regional and final qualifiers are available for the 2014 RBC Canadian Open at The Royal Montreal Golf Club in Île-Bizard, Que.