Written by Janice Huckin

June 14, 2014, Victoria (ISN) – The Jr. Shamrocks had a line-up cobbled together with baling wire and crazy glue as they were missing several regulars due to injuries or other commitments, but they still managed to pull out a 12-7 win Saturday at the Juan de Fuca Arena against the visiting Burnaby Lakers.

Charles Claxton got the start for Victoria in goal while David Mather suited up at the Lakers’ end of the floor.  The first period was a low-scoring affair with only 5 goals scored starting with Mason Pynn’s first goal of the season in his first game since returning from school at 5:11 when he found the back of the net from the edge of the crease. 

It took almost 10 minutes for Burnaby to reply, Justin Appels getting a power play goal at 14:57 on a hard shot from the dotted line.  That triggered a mini-flurry of scoring as the Shamrocks answered back at 16:15, McLean Chicquen going to the net to take a pass. 

Before that goal could be entered into the records, Burnaby’s Randy Jones got in close to beat Claxton at 16:34.  Pynn re-gained the lead for the home team at 18:23, off a rebound right in front and that sent the Shamrocks to the dressing room with the 3-2 lead, despite being outshot 18-10.

The Rocks got on the board early in the middle frame, Ryan Lewis finding twine on a bullet from the dotted line just 22 seconds in, that goal coming with the extra man.  Burnaby got a power play goal of their own at 2:29, coming off the stick of Tyler Kirkby. 

The Shamrocks started to gain a bit of momentum with a pair of goals , Derek Lecky scoring on a run at the 3-minute mark and Lewis picking up his second of the night at 7:44 to give the home team the 6-3 lead.  Burnaby battled back, Appels getting his second at 10:54, in close. 

Intermediate Shamrocks call-up Taylor Martin got a nice goal as he worked his way around the defender to score at 11:31.  The Lakers weren’t going away and Kirkby picked up his second of the game at 13:17 on a long shot that Claxton got a piece of. 

Victoria opened up a 4-goal lead with the final two goals of the period, Darren Bourret scoring on a power play, working to the net at 17:05 and Pynn picking up his hat trick goal at 18:08, getting in close.  That made it 9-5 for the Shamrocks after 40 minutes and once again they were outshot 19-16.

The Shamrocks kept their run going with the first goal in period 3, that coming from Max Fredrickson just 45 seconds in.  Chicquen picked up his second of the game at 1:38, getting in close.  That sent Burnaby goaltender Mather to the bench in favour of Aiden Yorke.  The Lakers managed a couple more goals, Peter Mahoney scoring at 2:51 and Peyton Lupul solving Claxton at 10:22 with a shot from well out. 

The Rocks had the final word, however, Fredrickson picking up his second of the game on a slick backhander at 17:36 and that provided the margin of victory with the final shots on goal heavily favouring Burnaby by a 51-36 margin.

Mason Pynn led the offensive onslaught with the hat trick but team captain Max Fredrickson led all scorers with 6 points on 2 goals and 4 helpers.  McLean Chicquen had a pair of goals and 3 assists while Ryan Lewis also had two goals.  Singles came from Derek Lecky, Darren Bourret and Taylor Martin while Dallas Wade added 5 assists.  Charles Claxton, in picking up the win, kicked out 43 shots and also contributed on the scoreboard with 2 assists.

The result makes up the game in hand the Shamrocks had on Nanaimo and increases their lead on their island rivals to 6 points.  It also puts them just 1 point behind the third place Delta Islanders who are in action against New Westminster at the time of this writing.

The Shamrocks head to Burnaby for the return match Sunday and see their next home action next Saturday, June 21 when they will be back at the Q Centre at 5:00 to face the visiting Langley Thunder.