July 29,2014(ISN) – Glasgow Scotland
In the Qualification rounds on Day 2 of the Athletics competition:
– High Jump – Men: Both Derek Drouin (Corunna, ON) and Michael Mason (Nanoose Bay,
BC) cleared 2.2m to advance.
– 400m – Men: All three Canadians advanced to the Semi-Finals: Daundre Barnaby
(Brampton, ON) – 46.16, Michael Robertson (Williamstown, ON) – 46.87, Philip Osei
(Toronto, ON) – 47.11
– Hammer Throw – Men: James Steacy (Lethbridge, AB) qualified with the 2nd best
throw overall of 70.62m.
– 1500m – Women: Both Kate Van Buskirk (Brampton, AB) – 4:07.74 and Nicole
Sifuentes (Winnipeg, MB) – 4:06.6, qualified for the Final.
– 100m – Women: Khamica Bingham (Brampton, ON), was the only qualifier for the
final with a time of 11.32. Crystal Emmanuel (East York, ON) ran 11.43 and Shai-Anne
Davis (Richmond, BC) 11.52
– 100m – Men: Neither Aaron Brown (Toronto, ON) – 10.17 nor Dontae Richards-Kwok
(Mississauga, ON) – 10.42, qualified for the Finals.
– 400m – Women: Audrey Jean-Baptiste (Montreal, QC) ran 53.61 which was not enough
– Decathlon – Men: Damien Warner (London, ON) set a Personal Best and Games Record
with a 10.29 100m, jumped 7.50 in the Long Jump, threw 14.04 in the Shot Put, 1.96
in the High Jump, and ran a 47.78 400m. He currently sits in 1st place with 4378
– Hammer Throw – Women: Sultana Frizell (Perth, ON) set a Games Record en route to
a Gold Medal throw of 71.97.
– Shot Put – Men: Timothy Nedow (Brockville, ON) with 20.59 earned a Bronze Medal.
Custio Clayton (Dartmouth, NS) – 69kg – defeated the Bahamas’ Carl Heild in the
Round of 16 in a unanimous decision. In the 75kg, Brody Blair (Lyons Brook, NS)
lost to Benny Muziyo of Zambia by TKO due to a cut.
After day 1 of the 2-day Artistic Gymnastics Team competiion, the Men’s Team sits
3rd, and Women sit 4th.
In lawn bowls action Monday, Canada’s women’s triples of Kelly McKerihen (Toronto,
Ont.), Laura Hawryszko (Cobourg, Ont.) and Mary Ann Beath (Vancouver, B.C.) tied
Zambia 16-16. They lost their second match of the day, 17-16 to Fiji.
The men’s fours (George Whitelaw (Victoria, B.C.), Kevin Jones (London, Ont.), Chris
Stadnyk (Niagara Falls, Ont.) and Tim Mason (Penetanguishene, Ont.) won against
Namibia 11-10. Pool play continues until July 30 with medal rounds following.
Mark Hynes (Whitburn, NL) finished 14th in qualification in the 50m Free Pistol,
which was not enough to advance to the Final. In Women’s Trap Qualification, Susan
Nattrass (Edmonton, AB) and Cynthia Meyer (Bowen Island, BC) finished 9th and 14th
respectively, failing to advance. On the Men’s side Drew and Paul Shaw
(Collingwood, ON) sit 9th and 15th respectively following Day 1 of Qualification.
Wynn Payne (Edmonton, AB) finished Qualification for 50m Rifle Prone in 21st. After
Day 2 of the Fullbore Rifle Queens Prize James Paton (White Rock, BC) sits in 5th
position with Desmond Vamplew (Toronto, ON) in 23rd. Following stage one of
Qualification for the 25m Rapid Fire Pistol, Metodi Igorov (Montreal, QC) is ranked
In men’s singles squash, Shawn Delierre (Montreal, Que.) won the Classic Plate Final
match over Scotland’s Kevin Moran 3-1 (11-9, 11-9, 2-11, 11-8), to finish in 16th
place overall. Delierre will play mixed doubles with Samantha Cornett (Deep River,
Ont.) starting July 30 vs. India.
Audrey Lacroix (Pont-Rouge, QC) won Gold in the 200m Butterfly, with Katerine Savard
(Quebec, QC) finishing in 8th spot. Brittany MacLean (Toronto, ON) took the Bronze
in the 800m Freestyle. Kierra Smith (Kelowna, BC) and Tera Van Beilen (Oakville, ON)
finished 6th and 7th respectively in the 100m Breaststroke. Russell Wood (Calgary,
AB) placed 7th in the Men’s 200m Backstroke. Richard Funk (Edmonton, AB) finished
in 8th spot in the Men’s 50m Breaststroke. In the Women’s 100m Freestyle Victoria
Poon (LaSalle, QC) finished tied for 6th with Sandrine Mainville (Boucherville, QC).
Alyson Ackman (Pembroke, BC) finished in 8th.
In the Semi-Final action in the Men’s 50m Freestyle, Yuri Kisil (Calgary, AB) placed
9th overall, just missing out on the Finals. Brooklyn Snodgrass (Calgary, AB) had
the 4th fastest time in the 50m Backstroke, qualifying for the Final. Hilary
Caldwell (White Rock, BC) had the 10th best time, leaving her outside the Finals.
Marie-Josée Arès-Pilon (Lorette, MB) won the Bronze medal in the 69kg Women, with
Kristel Ngarlem (Montreal, QC) placing 5th. Pascal Plamondon (Ascot Corner, QC) won
bronze in the Men’s 85kg. Darryl Conrad (Winnipeg, MB) won group B with a total of
July 29 – Look-Ahead
– 11:25am – 1500m Para Sport Wheelchair – Women: Diane Roy (Sherbrooke, QC)
– 11:50am – 1500m Para Sport Wheelchair – Men: Josh Cassidy (Port Elgin, ON),
Alexandre Dupont (St-Remi, QC)
– 12:15pm – 400m Hurdles – Women: Chanice Taylor-Chase (Ajax, ON), Noelle Montcalm
– 12:50pm – 800m – Men: Brandon McBride (Windsor, ON)
– 8:05pm – 400m – Men: Philip Osei (Toronto, ON), Daundre Barnaby (Brampton, ON),
Michael Robertson (Williamstown, ON)
– 10:14am – Decathlon – Men: Damien Warner (London, ON)
– 10:36am – Heptathlon – Women: Brianne Theisen-Eaton (Humboldt, SK), Jessica
Zelinka (London, ON)
– 8:40pm – Hammer Throw – Men: James Steacy (Lethbridge, AB)
– 9:50pm – 1500m – Women – Kate Van Buskirk (Brampton, ON), Nicole Sifuentes
Four Canadians are in action tomorrow, with Andrew D’Souza (Ottawa, ON) in Men’s
Singles Round of 64 vs. Patrick Kinyua Mbogo of Kenya, Rachel Honderich (Toronto,
ON) vs. Tinabora Tekeiaki of Kiribati in Women’s Singles and Michelle Li (Markham,
ON) and Adrian Liu (Prince Rupert, BC) vs. Scotland in Mixed Doubles.
Ariane Fortin (Quebec, QC) faces off against South Africa’s Phathiswa Thingana in
the 75kg Women Round of 16 at 7:30pm.
Cycling – Mountain Bike
The Women’s Cross-Country Final goes at 11:31am, with Catharine Pendrel (Kamloops,
BC) and Emily Batty (Booklin, ON) representing Canada. On the Men’s side, Max
Plaxton (Victoria, BC) and Raphael Gagne (Quebec, QC) race at 2:01pm.
Day 2 of the 2 day Team competition at artistic gymnastics goes tomorrow, with the
men’s rotation at 13:00, and the women at 17:45.
At 8:45am, the Women’s Pairs – Leanne Chinery (Auckland) and Jacqueline Lee Foster
(Halifax, NS) – face off against Wales, then match-up with Cook Islands at 3:45pm.
Ryan Bester (Hanover, ON) faces Muhammad Shahzad of Pakistan at 8:45am, and India’s
Sunil Bahadur at 3:45pm in Men’s Singles.
In the evening at 6:45pm, the Men’s Fours – Fours – Kevin Jones (London, ON), Tim
Mason (Penetanguishene, ON), Chris Stadnyk (Niagara Falls, ON), George Whitelaw
(Larkhall) – face India. At the same time, the Women’s Triples Triples – Mary Ann
Beath (Vancouver, BC), Laura Hawryszko-Hudson (Cobourg, ON), Kelly McKerihen
(Toronto, ON) – match-up against Cook Islands.
Drew and Paul Shaw (Collingwood, ON) contest Day 2 of Qualification in the Men’s
Trap, starting at 9:00am, with Semi-Finals and Finals taking place from 2:00pm
onward. Metodi Igorov (Montreal, QC) will be in action at the same time in the 2nd
day of 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Qualification, with Finals scheduled for 12:45pm.
Desmond Vamplew (Toronto, ON) and James Paton (White Rock, BC) compete in the Final
of the Fullbore Rifle Queens Prize – Open starting at 11:00am.
In the heats:
– 10:39am – 400m Freestyle – Women: Brittany MacLean (Toronto, ON), Samantha
Cheverton (Montreal, QC), Tabitha Baumann (Southport)
– 10:52am – 200m Individual Medley Para Sport SM10 – Women: Aurelie Rivard
(Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu), Katarina Roxon (Stephenville, NL)
– 11:06am – 200m Individual Medley – Men: Evan White (Oakville, ON), Luke Reilly
– 11:15am – 4 x 100m Medley Relay – Women
– 11:30am – 4 x 100m Medley Relay – Men
– 7:31pm – 50m Backstroke – Women: Brooklynn Snodgrass (Calgary, AB)
– 8:23pm – 1500m Freestyle – Men: Ryan Cochrane (Victoria, BC)
Two Canadians are in action tomorrow, including Marie-Eve Beauchemin-Nadeau
(Candiac, QC) at 3:30pm in the 75kg-Women and David Samayoa (Regina, SK) at 7:30pm
Wrestling – Freestyle
The Wrestling competition begins tomorrow at SECC. Over the course of the three
days of competition, 14 Canadians will be in action.