Aug 3,2014(ISN) – The 16U boys’ Canadian national team program gathered a talented group of 27 athletes for training in Calgary starting on July 19, 2014. From these 27 athletes, sixteen have now been chosen to represent Canada during an international training event with their American counterparts.
The focus of the 16U age group program for Water Polo Canada is to begin preparation for the 17U Pan American Water Polo Championships in 2015, and to subsequently build the strongest possible team for the Youth (18U) World Championships in 2016.
Head Coach Andrew Muir, who also serves as an assistant coach with the senior men’s national team, has been impressed with the overall performance of the young athletes thus far. “It has been wonderful to work with this group. They have impressed our staff on a daily basis with their overall athletic ability, maturity and motivation. The athletes have also committed to a team climate that is a true representation of how a national team should be. The road to the 2016 Youth World Championships will be a great process for this group. I look forward to seeing what they are able to accomplish along the road,” he said.
The team will be heading to California on August 5 to begin their training camp and will remain on the West Coast until August 15.
CANADA’S 16U BOYS’ TEAM ROSTER 2014 (in random order):
1. Garreth Jones, Pacific Storm Water Polo, BC
2. Robert Fraser, Pacific Storm Water Polo, BC
3. Blake Carnevale, Mavericks Water Polo Club, ON
4. Francois Croteau, C.A.M.O, QC
5. Mark Spooner, Pacific Storm Water Polo, BC
6. Eric Martel, Fraser Valley Water Polo Club, BC
7. Marko Avdalovic, Toronto Golden Jets, ON
8. Benjamin Lemay-Lavoie, C.A.M.O, QC
9. Marko Jovanovic, Pacific Storm Water Polo, BC
10. Reuel D’Souza, Fraser Valley Water Polo Club, BC
11. Stefan Mitic, Toronto Golden Jets, ON
12. Felix Poliseno, C.A.M.O, QC
13. Aleksa Stanic, Calgary Torpedoes, AB
14. Milan Duhaime, Ottawa Titans, ON
15. Ethan Odger, D.D.O, QC
16. Alexis Reiher, St-Lambert, QC
16U Boys’ Team Staff:
Head Coach – Andrew Muir (Calgary Wild)
Assistant Coaches – Fedja Avlijas (Edmonton Tsunami) and Nish Damani (Toronto Mavericks)
Mentor Coach/Manager – David Hart