Sept 13, 2014 (ISN) – VICTORIA, B.C. – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s field hockey team had a
troubling start to their Vancouver Premier league season, losing 7-2 to India Club
on home field Sept. 13. Despite the score margin, the Vikes conceded four goals in
the remaining 25 minutes of the game after a decent start to the match.

The Vikes, who were without injured senior defender David
Bell, still had a strong
contingency of veterans including fourth-year midfielders Tyler
Klenk and Brenden
Bissett, as well as third-year
midfielder Connor Martin. The Vikes
added to the mix an international recruit in Rodolphe
Dejace. The rookie defender brings
experience from a strong club side in Belgium.

The Vikes earned goals from Aidan
Pye and Brenden
Bissett, while Toby
Owen allowed six goals and made
seven saves throughout the match. The Vikes failed to capitalize on three penalty
corner chances, while India Club were only able to convert one of five chances on
set pieces.

“We played well in spells today and showed that we can move the ball,” said Kevin
Laidman in his second season as Vikes
men’s field hockey head coach. “We got burned on the counter-attack late in the game
when we were pushing up but it was only 4-2 until the last five minutes of the game.
We had a solid performance from Connor, Aidan and Brenden today and we will
definitely continue to word on capitalizing on our opportuntiies.”

India Club’s Amit Kullar put the visitors up 1-0 just nine mintues to play, putting
the ball into the net after a goal mouth scramble. Three minutes later and Gurtej
Gill had a precise deflection after a long-range free hit bypassed several Vikes.
Gill’s deflection caught Owen off-guard and sailed in to the top of the mesh to make
it 2-0.

The Vikes got on the board in the 25th minute after Martin had a nice solo effort up
the middle of the pitch. With three defenders around him, Martin squeeze the ball
forward and through to Bissett, who calmly rolled the ball past India Club keeper
Iqwinder Gill to leave the Vikes trailing only 2-1. The score remained 2-1 for India
club entering the break.

Less than one minute into the second frame and the Vikes tied the game at two. A
timely steal initiatied by Martin sprung Pye at the top of the circle The
second-year North Vancouver forward blasted a back-hand shot that went right through
Gill’s legs and into the back of the net.

The Vikes had several proceeding chances to score but several shots hit the side
meshing of India Club’s net. The missed opportunity was a preview of what was to
come as India Club managed to score three goals in the last five minutes of the

Gurtej Gill got his second of the game in the 43rd minute deflection in a hard hit
from outside the circle by Manvir Kingra. From there, the Vikes started to press up
but compromising their numbers in the back field.

India Club tallied on a penalty corner drag flick, a stroke and a nice passing play
field goal to take the game 7-2. The visitors received quite the boost in their
roster with two-time Olympian Ravi Kahlon, 2013 Junior World Cup player Manvir
Kingra and 2014 Youth Olympic games silver medallist Harbir Sidhu. The experience
paid off as the Vikes are now 0-1-0 in the Vancouver Premier League, while India
Club advance 1-0-0.

Up next the Vikes men will host the Burnaby Lakers on Sept. 20 at 2 p.m. at UVic’s
field hockey turf.