Photo credit Alex D’Addese

Acadia 4 UPEI 1 Final Box Score
Cape Breton 4 Dalhousie 1 Final Box Score | Recap

HALIFAX, NS – Ian Greedy (Lower Sackville, NS) scored a hat trick for Cape Breton Capers as they beat the Dalhousie Tigers 4-1 on the road in AUS men’s soccer action. Cape Breton’s (3-2-1) win puts them in 3rd place in the AUS while the Tigers (2-3-2) are tied for 5th.

The Capers opened up the scoring early when Ian Greedy scored on a penalty kick in the 19th minute. He would add another in the final minutes of the first half to make it 2-0 for Cape Breton.

The Tigers keeper, Tristan Leopold (Bedford, NS) made a remarkable diving save in the first half to keep the deficit at 2 going into the dressing room.

Mark Stewart (Liverpool, NS) extended the Capers lead to 3 in the 76th minute. The Tigers countered quickly when Ryan Lewars (Ottawa, ON) gave the team some life scoring in the 81st minute to make it 3-1 .

The Capers went on to win 4-1, with the final goal being scored by Ian Greedy.

Cape Breton (3-2-1) is back on the field at home against the Memorial Sea-Hawks (1-3-1) on Saturday, October 4th.

The Tigers (2-3-2) next game is at the University of Moncton (1-3-1) on Saturday, October 4th.

Nipissing 0 Carleton 3 Final Box Score
Toronto 3 Ryerson 0 Final Box Score

Source: Andrea Elliott, Ryerson Sports Info

TORONTO – The Ryerson Rams men’s soccer team’s regular season undefeated streak came to an end on Saturday afternoon with a 3-0 loss at the hands of the Toronto Varsity Blues.

Prior to Saturday, the No. 3 ranked Rams had not lost a regular season game in 35 straight games, dating back to September 2, 2012.

“I’d rather have this moment right now than have it the first round of the playoffs…when we have no chance to teach or learn from it, no desire to come back,” said associate coach Fil Prostran following the game. “Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn and we learned a great lesson today.”

Toronto’s Nirun Sivananthan opened the scoring in the 19th minute when he got in behind the Rams back line and slotted home his second of the season.

The Blues almost doubled their lead in the 28th minute but defender Josh Kohn (Richmond Hill, Ont.) slid across to block a sure goal.

A tackle in the box two minutes later led to a Mario Kovacevic penalty kick goal to make it 2-0 Blues in the 30th.

The Rams made some changes tactically coming out of halftime to try and pressure for the tying goal but in the 64th minute, Sivananthan beat two defenders and finished off the play for his second goal of the game.

Raheem Rose (Etobicoke, Ont.) had the Rams’ best chance in the 83rd minute with a hard, tailing strike but Toronto keeper Mark Rogal punched it aside to preserve the cleansheet victory.

“Today I thought, after that second goal, that we didn’t really have that will and that desire. That falls on the coaching staff in the energy I give to the team. I don’t think we had that killer instinct that the game meant a lot to us, for whatever reason. The loss always goes to the coaches so we’ll take it on the chin and move on and as always, win or lose, there’s lots of work to do.”

Ryerson continues to lead the OUA east division with their 8-1-0 record while Toronto maintains their hold on second place with a 6-2-1 record.

The Rams are back on the pitch on Wednesday, October 1 when they take on the Trent Excalibur in Peterborough before hosting the Carleton Ravens on Sunday, October 5.

UNB 4 Mount Allison 0 Final Box Score
McMaster 1 Guelph 2 Final Box Score

Source: Guelph Sports Info

Guelph, Ont. – The Guelph Gryphons men’s soccer team handed the McMaster Marauders their first loss of the season in a 2-1 final on Saturday afternoon at the Gryphon Soccer Complex. The Gryphons move to 6-1-0 and overtook the Marauders for second in the OUA, McMaster sits with a 5-1-2 record. The Gryphons remain the only team to score on McMaster this season, earlier in the season they tied 1-1.

The Gryphons established a lead right away with a goal by Jared Agyemang (Brampton, Ont.) in the sixth minute of play. Agyemang earned his eighth goal of the season and is tied for third in OUA scoring. The home team displayed excellent direct passing that enabled them to move easily around the field while keeping possession of the ball. There were tensions between the two teams right away, with a physical tone to the game but no penalties called.

In the second half, the tension escalated as the Gryphons fought to maintain their lead. They succeeded again in the 61st minute when defender Stephen Veenema (Ottawa) scored off a corner kick to earn his first goal of the season.

McMaster fought back and scored in the 77th minute but the Gryphons came away with a 2-1 victory. Guelph maintained their offensive pressure throughout the game, with a total of 12 shots on net as compared to McMaster’s total of five. The defensive lineup led by Justin Springer (Burlington, Ont.) and Paul Manchisi (Oakville, Ont.) protected their zone and goalie Justin Springer (Richmond Hill, Ont.) only had to save one shot throughout the game.

The Gryphons are scheduled to play the Brock Badgers tomorrow (Sept 28) at 3:15 pm at the Gryphons Soccer Complex.

Waterloo 1 Western 5 Final Box Score
Queen’s 1 UOIT 1 Final Box Score
Trent 0 RMC 1 Final Box Score
York 2 Brock 1 Final Box Score
Windsor 3 Algoma 0 Final Box Score
Alberta 1 MacEwan 1 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: MacEwan Sports Info

For the first time since 1913 two Edmonton university teams would go toe to toe on the men’s soccer pitch. Despite the lengthy transition, it only took one game, for the competitive juices between the MacEwan University Griffins and University of Alberta Bears to flow freely, as the teams fought to a spirited 1-1 draw.

The Bears opened the game applying a substantial amount of pressure early in the match, including four corner kicks, but the youthful home team weathered the storm with Keeper Adam Hajji turning back each one of the Bears attempts.

The Griffins best chance in the opening half came when Dejan Gajic was fed a crossing ball under pressure, but missed the net wide to the left side.

The second half produced more of the same gritty action, building in only the way a cross river rivalry could.

Despite being outshot 3-2 by the Bears in the first half, it would be the team from north of the river who would strike first.

Third year forward Youssef Mimouni would utilize his size and strength in advancing the ball along the sideline, before breaking free and finding rookie teammate Josh Ongaro who slipped in behind the Bears defenders to score the two on zero goal in the 75th minute.

In the 89th minute, the Bears had a dangerous chance after earning a free kick. Jermele Campbell registered the shot on goal, but the attempt was punched away by Hajji to maintain the Griffins 1-0 advantage.

Early in the extra time the Griffins Jonathan Alberkant had an opportunity to put the game on ice, but it was not to be, as his shot sailed wide of the goal.

Continuing to shut down the Bears offense, the Griffins were within 30 seconds of earning the victory in extra time, when Kenny M’Pindou was booked for a foul in the box, giving the Bears a golden opportunity to tie the game with the clock winding down.

Niko Saler stepped up for the Bears and made no mistake, marking his first goal of the season.

The game would end just as it started, even on the scoreboard. There may not have been a winner or loser, but the intercity rivalry has been stoked.

For their efforts, Kenny M’Pindou (GMU) and Stefan Bozunovic (UofA) were named the players of the game.

The Griffins and Bears will renew their rivalry Sunday with kick off slated for 2:20 p.m. back at JP Bowl.

Saskatchewan 2 Lethbridge 2 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Lethbridge Sports Info

Lethbridge – Three goals in the final 17 minutes of the game led to a wild finish but in the end the Saskatchewan Huskies and Lethbridge Pronghorns had to settle for a 2-2 tie.

The tie moves the ‘Horns record to 1-2-2, while the Huskies remain undefeated and move to 4-0-1.

Garrett Peters and Brett Levis scored for the ‘Huskies, while Conner Brady and Stephen Primeau scored for the Pronghorns.

The nationally fifth ranked Huskies started the game with solid ball possession and pressure on the ‘Horns but the ‘Horns defense was equal to any of the Huskie surges. The best chance in the early going came off the foot of Bobbi Nicholat, but his shot was deflected over the bar by ‘Horns keeper Peter Desmond.

Fifth-year defender Brady opened the scoring in the 23rd minute from the penalty spot following a hand ball in the Huskie penalty area. Brady ripped a shot into the upper portion of the net.

A relatively calm opening half came to a close without further goals or chances. The Huskies held a slim 4-2 shot attempt advantage but the ‘Horns did not register another shot on goal other than the penalty in the first 45 minutes.

Coming out of the half-time break, the Huskies upped the pressure looking for the equalizer and came dangerously close to tying the game in the 54th minute. Following a bobbled save from Desmond, a scramble ensued in the Pronghorn penalty area and Nicholat was all alone with an empty net but his shot found the cross bar.

Seven minutes later, the Huskies had another glorious chance to hit the scoreboard but Peter’s tapped Levis’ centering pass just wide of the net.

After weathering the early Huskie storm, the ‘Horns were finally able to get on their attack but Pronghorn newcomer Jared Ursulan’s shot just sailed over the bar from the Huskies penalty area.

A slick backheal from Huskie substitute David Brown sprung Peters for the tying goal in 73rdminute, as he picked the open corner on Desmond.

With only two minutes remaining, Levis struck to give the Huskies the lead, curling a shot from top corner of the 18-yard box past Desmond, but that lead would be short lived.

Off the ensuing restart, the ‘Horns worked the ball into Huskie territory and an up-close header from Shlomo Swan-Azmon forced Huskie keeper Michal Bandula into a difficult save, but the ‘Horns wouldn’t be denied the equalizer.

Just as injury time started, Gui Costa curled a ball deep into the Huskie box, causing a scramble in front and freshman Primeau was Johnny on the spot to knock home the equalizer.

Pronghorn keeper Peter Desmond, who was making his first appearance of the season, finished the game with three saves, while his counterpart finished with two saves.

The Huskies finished the day with 15 shot attempts to the ‘Horns five and the two teams combined to commit 31 fouls.

The ‘Horns and Huskies will put a cap on their weekend series tomorrow afternoon at the University Community Sports Stadium, kick-off is scheduled for 2:15.

Victoria 1 UNBC 0 Final Box Score
Moncton 1 Memorial 2 Final Box Score
Mount Royal 2 Winnipeg 1 Final Boxscore
Thompson Rivers 0 Trinity Western 1 Final Boxscore
UBC Okanagan 1 UFV 0 Final Boxscore