Oct 18, 2014

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Despite an impressive third period rally in which the Trinity Western men’s hockey team scored three goals in the final frame to force overtime, the Spartans came up just short at the end of the night, falling 5-4 in a shootout against Simon Fraser Saturday at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre.

The Spartans JP Villeneuve (Georgetown, Ont.) scored with 41 seconds left in the third period to send the game to an extra session, but after a scoreless overtime, it was SFU scoring twice in the shootout while the Spartans scored just once.

Matthew Berry-Lamontagna tallied the game-winning goal in the five-round shootout for the Clan. The Spartans Andrew Wheeler (Maple Ridge, B.C.) was the only TWU shooter to score. SFU’s Nick Sandor also scored in the shootout.

Despite the loss, the Spartans, at 3-1-0-1, moved into sole possession of first place in the BCIHL. SFU is in second at 3-2.

“I thought the guys battled hard to comeback in the third period,” said Spartans coach Barret Kropf. “But we need to be a lot more disciplined as we gave them nine power plays. It was hard to get any sort of flow going. But we’ll take positives out of this one as we were able to battle to get back into the game and getting three out of four points in a weekend against SFU is big step for our guys.”

TWU trailed 3-1 heading into the third period, but power play goals from Cody Fidgett (Richmond, B.C.) and Wheeler drew the Spartans even with 3:30 left in the frame.

However, with 3:01 remaining in the third period, SFU’s Jesse Mysiorek restored the Clan’s lead with a power play marker of his own.

The Clan looked primed to split the weekend series – TWU had won 3-2 on Friday in Langley – but Villeneuve extended the game with his goal inside the final minute.

SFU outshot TWU 5-2 in overtime but the teams were both held off the score sheet.

TWU goalie Silas Matthys stopped 38 of the 42 shots he faced and three of the five shooters he saw in the shootout. SFU’s Andrew Parent earned the win by making 23 saves on 27 shots and stonewalling four of the five TWU shooters.

The Spartans opened the scoring just over three minutes into the game with Fidgett getting his eighth goal of the season.

SFU evened the score with 38 seconds left in the period when Berry-Lamontagna scored his first of the season.

In the second, the Clan got goals from Trent Murdoch and Jared Eng to send the game to the third period with SFU up 3-1.

The teams combined for five power play goals with TWU going two for five and SFU going three for nine.

TWU’s Jake Harcoff (Surrey, B.C.) continued his impressive early season offensive run as he earned a pair of assists to improve his point streak to five games. He now has eight assists on the season and has already equaled his entire offensive output from last season.

Fidgett is now second in the BCIHL in scoring with nine goals and five assists in five games. Villeneuve is third in league scoring with six goals and three assists.

Game Notes: SFU outshot TWU 42-27…TWU outshot SFU 8-7 in the third period.