CIS football Saturday roundup


Photo credit Dominique Bernier

StFX 10 Mount Allison 18 Final Box Score | Recap
Source: Mount Allison Sports Info

For the first time in school history, the Mount Allison Mounties have finished the AUS football regular season undefeated. The Mounties put the finishing touches on an 8-0 regular season on Saturday by defeating the 2nd place StFX X-Men 18-10 in front of a delighted MacAulay Field crowd.

The CIS 7th ranked Mounties and their CIS #1 ranked defense went to work early as Jordan Redding recovered a DeJon Lynch fumble just 3 minutes into the game to give the Mounties good field position in StFX territory. Mounties kicker Ryan Lambert missed a 38 yard field goal but the Mounties still collected a rouge point to take a 1-0 lead.

The Mounties defense held on the next possession and then Mounties returner Michael Bohan returned a Jeremy Ford punt 38 yards to the StFX 44 yard line. From there the Mounties offense drove to the 1 yard line and Christian Plante did the rest, pushing his way to the end zone to give the Mounties an 8-0 lead after the convert. StFX answered back less than 2 minutes later when Randy Roseway took a short Tivon Cook pass 67 yards all the way to the Mounties end zone to make the score 8-7. This was the first touchdown given up by the Mounties since September 20th.

Ryan Lambert would add 3 field goals before halftime, the first set up by a Devante Sampson interception that brought the ball back to the StFX 15 yard line and the second by a Josh Blanchard punt return that gave the Mounties the ball on the StFX 30 yard line. Lambert added a 3rd field goal from 14 yards to bring the score to 17-7 for the Mounties at halftime.

Both defenses tightened up on the 2nd half with only 4 total points being scored in the final 30 minutes. The Mounties stretched their lead to 18-7 when they picked up a single point on Lambert’s 2nd missed field goal of the game. StFX would draw within 1 score when Jeremy Ford hit from 27 yards with 7 minutes remaining but that was as close as the game would get. The Mounties defense shut the door and when Tivon Cook was picked off by Devante Sampson for the 2nd time with 15 seconds remaining, the Mounties needed only to take a knee for the win.

Offensively, Mounties QB Brandon Leyh was 19 of 36 for 216 yards and 1 interception while Tivon Cook was 31 of 56 for 472 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions for StFX. Mounties freshman Chris Reid pounded out 128 yards on the ground on 25 carries to leave him just 13 yards shy of that magical 1,000 yards rushing plateau. Reid finishes the season with 987 yards in just 7 games. Rod Joseph led the Mounties with 5 catches for 53 yards while for the X-Men Jordan Catterall had 13 catches for 244 yards and Randy Roseway had 7 catches for 145 yards.

Defensively for the Mounties Devante Sampson had 2 interceptions and 4.5 tackles while 4th year defensive lineman Jacob LeBlanc had 2.5 sacks and 1.5 tackles for losses. Demetrius Ferguson led the X-Men with 9 tackles and 1 interception.

The Mounties win today was their 12th straight AUS regular season and playoff win dating back to October of 2013. The Mounties, who had already clinched first place in the AUS, now enter a bye week as StFX hosts Acadia in the Subway AUS Semi-Final game on Saturday, November 2nd. The winner will return to MacAulay field to face the 1st place Mounties for the Subway AUS Loney Bowl on Saturday, November 8th at 2PM.

Acadia 26 Saint Mary’s 17 Final Box Score | Recap
Source, SMU & Acadia Sports Information

Halifax, NS – While today’s Acadia Axemen 26-17 victory over the winless Saint Mary’s Huskies had little bearing on the AUS standings, the game was significant for third year reciever Brian Jones who picked up 8 catches for 98 yards, shattering the Acadia receiving record of 53 receptions in a single season held previously by Mike Squires set in 2012.

Jones record of 57 in a single season falls three shy of the AUS record held by Mountie Gary Ross who set the record of 60 in 2009.
Eli Prochnau, who pulled in 5 receptions for 101 yards, spearheaded a five play, 71 yard drive with a 58 yard reception that led to a one yard rush by Zack Clarke for Acadia’s first of three touchdowns on the day.

Ryan Begin’s 14 yard field goal that ended a 9 play, 55 yard drive gave Acadia a 10-0 lead. Begin extended his consecutive field goal streak to 17, but it was snapped on the final play of the first half when he missed on a 42 yard attempt.

Running back Bobby Troop hit first year receiver Bradley Vince for the third Acadia major of the first half to give Acadia a 17-0 lead into the locker room at the half.
The Huskies finally got on the board with a safety early in the second half. Late in the third quarter, Melvin Abankwah rushed 44 yards for the Huskies’ first of two touchdowns.
Opening up the final frame, Saint Mary’s capped a seven play, 81 yard drive with Abankwah’s second rushing touchdown of the game, this time scampering for 26 yards. Abankwah had 25 carries for 194 yards on the ground.
Tied at 17, Acadia edged forward with a one point safety off of a 43 yard Begin punt. Pulling together a 73 yard drive, Acadia scored their last touchdown of the day to advance to 25-17 on a Derek Wodz rush of seven yards. An addition Begin point on a 49 yard punt and single gave the Axemen a 26-17 victory.

Rookie pivot Thompson Richards was an astounding 20 for 22 pass attempts for 235 yards in the air while Zack Clarke gained 81 yards on the ground on 18 carries for the Axemen.
The Huskie standout in the loss was Melvin Abandwah with 194 yards on the ground on 25 carries that included two touchdowns.
With the win, the Axemen improve to 3-5 and will head to Antigonish, N.S. to take on the 4-4 StFX X-men. The last time both teams met was on Saturday, October 11 where Acadia handed the X-Men a 26-4 loss. Both teams have met each other three times this season with the X-men winning two of three matchups.

Windsor 21 Western 43 Final Box Score | Recap
LONDON, Ont. – After taking their first road loss of the season in Guelph last week, the Western Mustangs closed out their OUA regular season with a 43–21 win over the Windsor Lancers on Saturday afternoon at TD Stadium.

With the victory, the Mustangs clinched third place in Ontario University Athletics and will now host the Laurier Golden Hawks next weekend in an OUA quarterfinal matchup.

However, Saturday’s win came at a cost as quarterback Will Finch left the game in the second quarter. Play was stopped late in the second quarter as Finch was taken off the field, leaving Stevenson Bone to step behind centre for the remainder of the game.

“It was hard getting back at it, but I was really pleased with the way our team responded. They rallied behind Stevenson [Bone],” said Western Mustangs head coach Greg Marshall. “Our kids are pretty resilient, probably more resilient than the coaches.”

Bone had another solid performance in relief of Finch, as Western’s backup quarterback completed six of his 12 passes for 127 yards and touchdown. Bone also had a touchdown opportunity taken away when his pass was picked off by the Lancers defence in the end zone.

“Everyone did a great job today. It wasn’t one player — Yannick [Harou] played awesome, [Alex] Taylor stepped up — and that’s what our team needs to do going down the stretch,” said Bone.

At the end of the day, the Mustangs walked away with the win, but a series of mistakes plagued them early on.

On their first drive, the Mustangs offence moved the ball efficiently down field, but a Brian Marshall fumble on the goal line halted the early game momentum.

The Lancers answered with touchdowns on their next two drives, as Austin Kennedy connected with Gilbert Stewart and then Evan Pszczonak to take a 14-point lead.

Despite giving life to the Windsor lancers, the Mustangs found success moving the ball on the ground. They ran the ball 45 times for 351 total yards with Harou carrying the brunt of the load in the backfield.

Late in the first half, on third down and only a yard, Harou busted out a 50-yard run to pick up the first down and put his team in scoring position. One play later, Finch found fullback Tom Marshall for the nine-yard catch-and-run for their first touchdown of the game.

Harou finished the day with a season high 21 carries for 209 yards, to average 10 yards per carry.

Also featured in the run game was rookie running back, Alex Taylor. As a change of pace back, the Winnipeg, Manitoba native carried the ball eight times for 82 yards and a touchdown.

Taylor’s 82-yard performance was highlighted by a 41-yard touchdown run to put the game out of reach in the fourth quarter.

“Obviously it’s my first year so I’m trying to take it one step at a time. I had a decent start in that Waterloo game and now obviously we’re here,” Taylor said. “If the coaches give me an opportunity to get in, I see it as a small window and I’m going to take that chance to grasp it and play my best.”

The rookie was also dynamic on special teams. Taylor returned six kickoffs for 168 yards, including one for 50 yards in the third quarter to set up a touchdown pass on the next play.

Along with the ground game, the Mustangs receiving corps was solid once again.

Justin Sanvido, the Mustangs third-year wide receiver, was sure-handed in the passing game. He led the team with four catches for 104 yards and a touchdown.

Despite conceding two first quarter touchdowns, the Mustangs defence shut down the Lancers until the fourth quarter. By that time, the Mustangs had taken a commanding 15-point lead.

Coach Marshall said he was pleased with the defensive performance.

“Defensively it wasn’t our best first half but we did a nice job at finishing — and those three-and-outs made a difference so I was proud of the way they played,” said Marshall.

Austin Kennedy, the Windsor Lancers quarterback, managed 17 completions for 293 yards and three touchdowns, but threw a costly pass that was intercepted by Jordan Beaulieu and taken back for a touchdown in the fourth quarter to seal the win for Western.

With his three-touchdown performance, Kennedy tied the OUA record for career touchdowns at 79. The Windsor quarterback also tacked on 12 carries for 112 yards rushing.

With the win at home over the Lancers, the Mustangs finish the season with a 6–2 record and clinch third place in the OUA. The Mustangs will now get set to host Dillon Campbell and the Laurier Golden Hawks in the OUA quarterfinal next week. It will be the second time this season that the two teams have faced-off, with Western taking a 61-20 win at TD Stadium on Thursday, October 9.

Waterloo 32 York 31 Final Box Score | Recap
Source: York Sports Info

TORONTO – The York University Lions football team suffered a heartbreaking 32-31 loss to the visiting University of Waterloo Warriors in the season finale for both teams at York Stadium on Saturday afternoon (Oct. 25).

The Lions had a chance to tie with 14 seconds left after Connor Anderson (Newmarket, Ont.) scored his second touchdown of the game, but the point-after attempt was fumbled, leaving the Lions one point behind. They recovered the onside kick on Waterloo’s 49-yard line, but Nick Naylor’s (Abbotsford, B.C.) 56-yard field goal attempt came up short as time expired.

The Lions were in position to extend the game thanks to a furious second-half comeback after trailing 24-7 at the break.

They tied the game at 25-25 with 6:54 left in the fourth on a one-yard touchdown run by quarterback Jahmari Bennett (Mississauga, Ont.) and a stellar two-point conversion to Devyn Chenier (Thunder Bay, Ont.). But Waterloo scored a touchdown on a 26-yard rush by quarterback Jamie Cook (Kitchener, Ont.) to make the score 32-25, ultimately putting the game out of reach.

On the ensuing kick-off, the Lions used a reverse hand-off from Jonathan Howard (Burlington, Ont.) to Mitchell Fraser (Newmarket, Ont.) to run the ball from the end zone all the way back to the one-yard line at the other end of the field, but a penalty flag brought the ball back to midfield, denying the Lions of a glorious opportunity to tie the contest.

Waterloo opened the scoring in the first quarter with a 31-yard field goal by Caleb Girard (Waterford, Ont.), and carried a 5-0 lead after one following a York-conceded safety.

The Warriors stretched their lead to 12-0 on Cook’s first touchdown pass of the day to Ryan Di Risio (Burlington, Ont.) before the Lions got on the board four minutes later. Bennett threw a beautiful ball down the far sideline that receiver Mahlique Marks (Toronto) ran in for a touchdown, the first of his career, to make the score 12-7.

Cook threw his second major score of the day less than three minutes later, a nine-yard completion to Christian Lewis (Kitchener, Ont.) that made it 19-7. They added another two points when Bennett was sacked in the end zone for a safety by Ivan Gritsiniak (Toronto), and rounded out the first-half scoring with a 42-yard field goal by Girard.

Anderson’s first touchdown of the contest game at 5:03 of the third quarter on a two-yard run that cut the deficit to 24-14, the only points of the third quarter. Naylor opened the fourth with a 36-yard field goal, and Waterloo recorded a rouge to push the score to 25-17 before Bennett’s scoring run.

Bennett finished 15-of-22 for 201 yards, with the one touchdown and two interceptions, both in the first half. He also ran the ball 11 times for 88 yards and the one score.

Howard had the best game of his young career, piling up 123 yards on 17 carries and another 44 yards on two kick returns.

On defence, Brett Colangelo (Oakville, Ont.) had a huge performance with a game-high 7.5 tackles, as well as an interception in the end zone and a pass break-up.

For Waterloo, Cook went 19-of-32 for 267 yards, with the two touchdowns and one pick, and he also added three carries for 48 yards, the most on the team. Lucas Merlin (Burlington, Ont.) was the team’s top defensive player with seven tackles and one sack.

Both teams had already been eliminated from the playoffs prior to kick-off. The Warriors finish the season with a 1-7 record and the Lions at 0-8.

McMaster 18 Ottawa 38 Final Box Score | Recap
Queen’s 37 Carleton 15 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Carleton Sports Info

OTTAWA – The Carleton Ravens football team hosted the Queen’s Golden Gaels in their final regular season game at Keith Harris Stadium. After a big home win against Windsor last weekend, the Ravens came up short today losing 37-15, eliminating them from a potential playoff run in their second season back.

“We beat ourselves and we definitely could have won this game,” said quarterback Jesse Mills.

The Ravens finished the season with four wins and four losses. In today’s contest, Queen’s opened the scoring on their first drive with 4 first downs but were forced to settle for a field goal. The Ravens answered with a pair of catches from Nate Behar and some good groundwork from Jaharvi Bennett, but were also forced to kick a field goal, tying the game 3-3. The Ravens gave up a safety late in the quarter giving the Gaels a 5-3 lead.

As the rain came, so did the Gaels, dominating the 2nd quarter while the Ravens were unable to get a first down. A 33 yard field goal, a fumble recovery for a touchdown and a 10 yard completion to Carmichael put the Gaels up 22-3 heading into halftime. The Ravens ran out of time on the clock as Tunde Adeleke closed out the half with a 96 yard kickoff return to the 3 yard line, just short of getting them on the board.

The third quarter opened in Carleton’s favour with an interception from Nick Hamlin but they couldn’t capitalize on the turnover. Quarterback, Nick Gorgichuk, had a solid drive with 5 first downs but turned the ball over on their 13 yard line. Queen’s would take a safety, still with the 22-5 lead while the Ravens made substation at quarterback, putting Jesse Mills in the game getting them in field goal range to open the 4th, making the score 22-8.

The teams both took to the air and traded touchdowns making it 29-15 but the Ravens couldn’t close the gap as the Gaels would get in the end zone one more time, securing their lead 36-15. They would attempt one last field goal but it was wide left leaving the final score 37-15.

While disappointed with the loss, Ravens second year receiver, Kyle Van Wynsberghe, said “there were positives to the season like winning the Panda game against the University of Ottawa.”

“I love being out here with my friends, my brothers, there’s nothing better,” he said despite the loss, the team greatly improved over last year

Guelph 41 Laurier 36 Final Box Score | Recap
Source: Laurier Sports Info

WATERLOO, Ont. – The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s football team scored 32 second half points but it wasn’t enough to overcome the No. 4 Guelph Gryphons as they fell 41-36 at University Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Despite the loss, the Golden Hawks (4-4) qualified for the OUA playoffs thanks to the Queen’s Gaels 37-15 win over the Carleton Ravens (4-4). Both Carleton and Laurier tied for the sixth and final playoff spot but the Hawks reached the postseason with a 53-3 win on Homecoming over the Ravens.

“It really was a tale of two halves,” said head coach Michael Faulds after the game. “Offence, defensively and special teams we got out played severely in the first half, but I’m proud of how our guys rallied. We only went into the locker room at half for about three minutes and I told them we have to get out there be ready to play in the second half.”

The first half of the game belonged to the Gryphons (7-1) as they came storming out of the gate. In the opening quarter, with a stiff breeze at their back, Guelph put 19 points up on the board, highlighted by a 50-yard touchdown by James Ingram of Guelph, Ont., on a pass from James Roberts of Burlington, Ont., and an 81-yard punt return for a touchdown by Ryan Nieuwesteeg of Niagara Falls, Ont.

Guelph continued their offensive dominance in the second quarter as Jacob Scarfone of London, Ont., and Rob Farquharson of Niagara Falls, Ont., both added touchdowns to push the Guelph lead to 36-4.

After an inspired halftime speech from head coach Michael Faulds, the Hawks returned to the field a different team for the second half. Taking the wind to start the third, Laurier proceeded to post 22 points in the quarter, including touchdowns from Anthony Pizzuti of Hamilton, and Dillon Campbell of Whitby, Ont.

The Gryphons put an end to Laurier’s unanswered scoring run with a 42-yard field goal from Daniel Ferraro of Mississauga, Ont., early in the fourth quarter but the Hawks kept coming. First, Campbell busted outside for a 17-yard touchdown followed by another 17-yard touchdown, this one from Pizzuti.

However, the Hawks could not put together a drive late to win the game as they fell just short of pulling off the upset victory.

“It just shows that we can play the way we can play,” said Campbell of his team’s second half performance. “The last few weeks we haven’t been really giving it our all, but the second half was great job on our part – offence, defence and special teams.”

Campbell was the story of the game for the purple and gold as the fourth year running back recorded his third 200-plus yard rushing game of the season, racking up 203 yards and two touchdowns. Those numbers were good enough to push him into sixth all-time in the CIS for single season rushing yards with 1,458. His 13 touchdowns are also the third most in school history behind only Jim Reid (16) and Stefan Ptaszek (14).

Pizzuti also enjoyed another solid game for the purple and gold, finishing with eight catches for 96 yards and two touchdowns. His eight catches give him 40 on the season which ties him with Dillon Heap for sixth most in a single season in school history.

As for the Gryphons, Farquharson was a difference maker on the day, rushing for 158 yards and a touchdown while Ingram made four catches for 103 yards and a major.

Laurier will now prepare for their return to the OUA postseason after a one-year absence as they travel to London to face the third-seeded and sixth ranked Western Mustangs (6-2). The Hawks suffered a 61-20 loss at the hands of the Mustangs back in Week 7 at TD Stadium.

“We’ve got to do some soul searching,” said Faulds when asked how his team will need to put together a faster start against the Mustangs. “We need to find out, is it jitters, is it what we’re eating in the pregame meal, what is it that can make Laurier come out of the gates and play strong. We’ve done really well in the second halves this year, but we need to work on the first and second quarters.”

Stay tune to for complete playoff information.

NOTES: Ferraro’s 42-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter set the new CIS single season record with 26…Laurier kicker Ronnie Pfeffer of Kitchener, Ont., also stands alone as Laurier’s single season field goal record holder as he connected on his 18th in the second quarter…defensive back Chris Ackie of Cambridge, Ont., also broke into the Hawks record books with a seven tackle performance, giving him 48.5 on the year, seventh most in school history…three of the last four games between the Hawks and Gryphons have been decided by five points or less…Faulds, the youngest head coach in the CIS, qualified for the playoffs in just his second year as Laurier’s bench boss…attendance at Saturday’s game was 2,045

Montreal 56 Bishop’s 8 Final Box Score
Alberta 23 Saskatchewan 41 Final Box Score | Recap
Source: Saskatchewan Sports Info

SASKATOON – The No. 10 ranked University of Saskatchewan Huskies used a strong second half to break away from the visiting University of Alberta Golden Bears en route to a 41-23 playoff-clinching win Saturday at Saskatoon’s Griffiths Stadium in PotashCorp Park.

Game Stats

The Huskies scored 24 straight second half points, outscoring Alberta 24-9 in the half to improve to 5-2. Alberta drops to 3-4 with the loss.

The combination of a Saskatchewan win, Alberta loss and a Manitoba loss solidifies second place in the Canada West for the Huskies. Saskatchewan will host a Canada West semi-final November 7.

Quarterback Drew Burko led the Huskie offence on Saturday completing 29-of-41 passes for 360 yards and four touchdowns.

Kit Hillis put his name atop the Huskies all-time receptions list on Saturday _ as he hauled in nine Burko passes for 116 yards and a touchdown. John Trumpy also caught two touchdown passes. Tyler Chow was the top rusher for the Huskies with 38 yards on 10 attempts. The first year running back added eight catches for 78 yards.

Mark Ingram moved into first place in the CIS with two interceptions, giving him a six in 2014.

Alberta quarterback Curtis Dell completed 21-of-29 attempts for 292 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions.

Audrey Webster was Dell’s favourite target with eight receptions for 73 yards and a touchdown. Jimmy Ralph racked up 102 yards on seven catches. Ed Ilnicki rushed for 90 yards and a touchdown on 114 carries to lead the Golden Bears on the ground.

1st Quarter

Alberta took the ball 88 yards on the game’s opening possession to jump out to an early lead. Curtis Dell found Adam Zajdel for a 12-yard major.

2nd Quarter

The Huskies would get on the board at 6:57 of the second quarter. Quarterback Drew Burko rolled to his right and connected with Kit Hillis on a six-yard touchdown pass. Hillis hauled in four passes on the scoring drive.

Alberta would respond on their very next drive. Marching down the field to take a 14-7 lead on a one-yard Ed Ilnicki plunge at 8:43. Dell found receiver Tylor Henry for a 35-yard completion to spark the drive.

After Tyler Chow returned the ensuing Alberta kickoff to the Golden Bear side of half, it took just two plays to even the game again. John Trumpy made a leaping catch in the end zone on a 40-yard play-action pass from Burko at 9:42.

Denton Kolodzinski put the Huskies ahead at the half with a 34-yard field goal as the second quarter expired.

3rd Quarter

Stephen Fabian was good on a 30-yard field goal at 4:08 on the Golden Bears opening drive of the second half to square the game at 17.

Burko would find the end zone with a pass for the third time in the game at 13:52 of the third quarter. Julan Lynch capped off the nine play, 84-yard drive with an eight-yard touchdown catch.

4th Quarter

Saskatchewan would add to the lead with a 12-yard Kolodzinski field goal on the first drive of the fourth quarter at 2:11.

Alberta looked to cut the deficit to seven midway through the fourth lining up for a 38-yard field goal, but the kick was wide left. Keegan Arnyek was deep to return and took off for a 115-yard return touchdown, aided by two big blocks on his way.

Burko would throw his fourth touchdown of the game and the second to Trumpy. The 19-yard completion at 9:06 gave the Huskies a 41-17 lead.

Back-up quarterback Ryan Schwartz hit Aundrey Webster with an eight-yard touchdown pass at 11:57.

Manitoba 41 Regina 56 Final Box Score | Recap
Source: Regina Sports Info

REGINA – The University of Regina Rams kept their playoff hopes alive with a critical 56-41 victory over No. 9 Manitoba on Saturday afternoon in a Canada West game at Mosaic Stadium.

Jared Janotta became Canada West’s all-time leader in receptions, surpassing former teammate Mark McConkey’s career total of 180. But more importantly the Rams’ win sets up what will be an epic Week 8 of Canada West football, as both the Calgary and Saskatchewan wins on Saturday also work in the U of R’s favour.

The Rams (2-5) can qualify for the postseason with a win over Alberta next weekend along with victories by both Calgary and Saskatchewan. The Rams could also qualify for the playoffs with a Calgary loss to Manitoba and a three-point U of R win over Alberta, or a Saskatchewan loss to UBC combined with at least a 15-point win over the Golden Bears.

The Rams scored the opening 28 points of the game, only to have Manitoba (3-4) roar back with 24 unanswered points of its own to draw to within four early in the third. But that was as close as Manitoba would come, as the Rams replied almost immediately with Atlee Simon’s third touchdown run of the game and a 104-yard touchdown pass from Noah Picton to Mitch Thompson early in the fourth essentially put the game out of reach.

Picton, who replaced an injured Cayman Shutter in the second, finished 17-for-24 with 368 passing yards and three touchdown passes. Janotta had a team-high seven receptions for 109 yards, while Thompson ended up with a team-high 110 yards – most of which came on that long touchdown reception in the fourth, the third-longest passing play in U of R history.

Rookie running back Atlee Simon had another fine game for the Rams, picking up 154 yards on the ground and becoming the first Rams player to collect three touchdown rushes since Cory Olynick way back in 2002. Simon also had 89 receiving yards including a 60-yard touchdown reception to become the only U of R player not named Jason Clermont or Chad Goldie to score four majors in a single game. His 243 all-purpose yards stand as the fourth-highest single-game total for the Rams at the CIS level.

Patrick MacDonald and Joey Dwyer both sparkled in the defensive backfield for the Rams. Both had key interceptions, with MacDonald also collecting four pass knockdowns and Dwyer adding three.

Starting in place of Jordan Yantz, Manitoba’s Theo Deezar finished 22-for-40 for 440 yards and four touchdowns. Most of the damage was to Nic Demski, who ended up with nine catches for 238 yards – tied for seventh in conference single-game history and just three back of Andrew Sharp’s school record of 241 set during the 2002 campaign.

Kienan LaFrance also had a massive game on the ground for the Bisons, rushing 17 times for a total of 175 yards and a touchdown.

The Rams will now get ready for the crucial Alberta matchup, which is set for next Saturday, Nov. 1 at Mosaic Stadium (2 p.m.). Manitoba will also be in action next Saturday, as the Bisons will entertain No. 2 Calgary.

Concordia 0 Sherbrooke 29 Final Box Score
UBC 6 Calgary 67 Final Box Score

Source: Calgary Sports Info

CALGARY – The University of Calgary Dinos dominated in all aspects of the game, clinching the Canada West regular season title with a 67-6 win over the UBC Thunderbirds Saturday afternoon at McMahon Stadium.

Calgary (6-1) will finish first in the conference for the fourth straight season and will enjoy home field advantage throughout the playoffs, while UBC (2-5) saw its playoff hopes diminished with the loss.

The Dinos scored early and often, with Johnny Mark connecting for a single on the opening kickoff – one of six on a windy day for him – sparking 16 points for Calgary in the first 5:32 of the contest. By the time the first quarter ended it was 26-0 as the Dinos capitalized with the wind. Calgary led 36-3 at the half and 43-5 after 45 minutes.

While the Dinos were without the services of offensive lineman Sukh Chungh and tailback Quentin Chown, both of whom were injured against Alberta last week, there was good news on the injury front as both Mercer Timmis and Jake Harty returned to the lineup. Timmis rushed 15 times for 126 yards and two touchdowns, while Harty picked up 90 receiving yards and a major as both played major roles in Calgary’s offence.

“I think the key was having people step up,” said Calgary captain Sean McEwen, an offensive lineman. “We had some guys in new roles and in positions they haven’t played before but I’m really proud of how they stepped up and helped us get this win. We had a good game plan coming in and a good understanding of what they were going to do to try and stop us. Having a lot of guys back from injury like Mercer helped too. It’s awesome when you have him behind you running the ball so it’s nice to be rewarded for your effort.”

“The young men played very well, and they prepared very well,” said Calgary coach Steve Buratto, filling in for the suspended Blake Nill during Saturday’s game. “Defensively, we did a really wonderful job stopping their running game and minimizing their big plays. You want to be playing at your very best at this time of the year, and they need to be commended for the intensity with which they played the entire game. They didn’t play attention to the scoreboard – they played like it was 0-0 the whole way through, and that’s not a very easy thing to do.”

While Calgary’s offence was up to its usual ways, racking up 665 total yards, 430 of which came along the ground, the Dinos defence held firm and limited UBC to just 205 yards total – and a sixth of that came on one 34-yard passing play in the fourth quarter. UBC’s Brandon Deschamps was able to pick up just 66 yards on the ground, while the quarterbacking tandem of Carson Williams and Trevor Casey combined for just 10 completions on 29 attempts for 105 yards in the game.

Timmis’ return bolstered the Calgary offence, but it was Andrew Buckley who scored first on a 35-yard TD run just two minutes into the contest. Timmis added a three-yard major three minutes later, then a one-yard plunge to wrap up the opening quarter. Early in the second on third-and-three, Buckley called his own number and rumbled 34 yards for his second TD of the game. He finished with 99 rushing yards on the day.

Buckley found Harty for the only passing major of the game midway through the fourth quarter, and Harty added a rushing TD of his own early in the fourth. Bryce Harper and Eric Dzwilewski added rushing scores for Calgary, while Mark added eight converts and a 32-yard field goal to his six kickoff rouges on the day to account for 17 points.

Buckley completed 14 of 22 passes for 173 yards and a TD on the day.

Quinn Van Gylswyk accounted for all of UBC’s scoring, adding a pair of singles to a 34-yard field goal in the second quarter. Otherwise, the Thunderbirds couldn’t penetrate deep enough into Calgary territory to threaten.

The Dinos will wrap up the regular season with their first-ever visit to Winnipeg’s Investors Group Field to take on Manitoba (3-4) next Saturday afternoon, while UBC will wrap up the regular season at home against Saskatchewan in a must-win game: the Thunderbirds need a victory and some help elsewhere in the conference to qualify for the postseason.

Scott Harrigan
Your #1 source for community and amateur sports related news on Vancouver Island, British Columbia and beyond! Send stories to