Day 2 Recap


Day 2 Recap

Match 5 | Bronze Quarter-final: Keyano 5, Holland 2

Eighth-seeded Keyano Huskies shocked the fourth-seeded Holland Hurricanes with a quick start on their way to a 5-2 win.

From the onset, Keyano dominated ball possession with technical prowess and sound positioning that provided them an opportunity to maintain the game’s pace.

It didn’t take long for them to collect their reward as they scored their first goal in the 4th minute off a rebound in the area that was misplayed by Hurricane defenders, which left Keyano’s Nathan Aulenbach alone in front to bury a no-doubter.

The Huskies scored four more unanswered goals in the 16th, 22nd, 45th+2, and 48th minutes.

Keyano’s goalkeeping and defending were outstanding, led by defender Tali Guet, but it wasn’t enough to preserve the clean sheet.

Two late goals by midfielder Nick MacDonald and forward Ibrah Sanoh gave Holland an injection of life, however they were unable to catch up to the five goal tally achieved by their opponent.

Keyano’s Rodrigo Wogel Koebsch and Holland’s Ibrah Sanoh were awarded players of the game.

Recap by: Spencer Luyben

Match 6 | Bronze Quarter-final: NAIT 2, Douglas 1

The Douglas Royals, ranked second in the 2014 Sheridan Student Union CCAA Men’s National Soccer Championship, lost their second-consecutive game of the tournament 2-1, to the third-seeded NAIT Ooks.

The Royals were upset the evening before 3-0 by the seventh-seed, and host team, Sheridan College before a raucous crowd.

The lone highlight of the first half was a spectacular, point-blank save by Royals goalkeeper Marc Minicieli in the 15th minute to thwart an Ooks breakaway, and keep the score knotted at zeros.

It would remain that way until the 54th minute, when Royals fourth-year defender Devin Phelan scored to put the favoured team up 1-0. However, the Ooks battled back to score in the 73rd minute to tie the game 1-1 on a goal by midfielder Igi Broda.

The Ooks continued their late surge, and scored again in the 85th minute on a shot from inside the box by forward Monty Haines. The Royals pressed to pull even, bringing Minicieli into the attacking third, but their lone chance was spoiled when his thunderous shot from just outside the area ricocheted off the head of NAIT defender Stephan Wright, leaving him dazed.

Recap by: Adam Johnston

Match 7 | Championship Semi Final: VIU 3, Algonquin 2 (4-3 Penalty Kicks)

The first semi-final of the 2014 Sheridan Student Union CCAA Men’s Soccer National Championship was a cagey back and forth game. Both Algonquin and VIU had periods of dominance in the game but it would ultimately require a penalty shootout to determine the outcome with VIU advancing to the national championship game after a 3-2 (4-3) win.

The number five team in the nation the VIU Mariners dominated the early portion of the match, shutting down the Algonquin Thunder’s speed and possession game with tight defence in the middle of the park, forcing many turnovers.

Jamie Taylor scored in the 10th minute for the Mariners to put them ahead 1-0 and seemingly giving his team an early confidence boost.

Eleven minutes later, Victor Blasco took control of the ball and dribbled his way to the by line drawing two defenders and put in a low cross to his Renan Rebelatto who confidently slotted the ball home.

Algonquin stole the momentum just before half when Kishoyian Kipusi sent in a beautiful shot from a free kick on target and though goal keeper Scott Brown was able to make the initial save, the rebound was tucked home by Isaac Johnson.

The second half became a back and forth affair, leading to many breakout opportunities for both teams. Algonquin would draw level in the 84th minute on a mesmerizing drive from Kipusi.

The game ended up going to a penalty kicks with VIU winning, after they converted four out of their five spot kicks with Algonquin unable to match.

Recap by: Michael Melro

Match 8 | Championship Semi Final: Sheridan 2, Garneau 1 (5-4 Penalty Kicks)

In a day governed by penalties, the host team Sheridan stunned CEGEP Garneau Elans in a rainy, heart-pounding thriller that saw the Bruins advance to the national championship game after equalizing in the 82nd minute and winning 2-1 (5-4) in the penalty shootout.

Garneau controlled the ball for most of the first half, demonstrating a tightly controlled plan of attack. Their positioning was picturesque, with a collection of double-team defensive maneuvers that allowed them to effectively transition offensively.

It paid off in the 22nd minute when Sheridan goal keeper Daniel Voci slid out of his net to challenge a potential breakaway. After making contact with the Garneau forward, the referee awarded a penalty kick, which was buried just inside the right post by Garneau’s Jason Nadeau-Bolduc.

As the home crowd encouraged its players with a series of “Let’s go, Bruins” chants, Sheridan began to improve their pace and responsibility with the ball.

In the 36th minute, Sheridan goalkeeper, Daniel Voci, made an adrenaline-pumping diving save off a Garneau breakaway to keep his team in it.

The second half displayed a livelier Bruins squad and a varied plan of attack that had Garneau on its heels.

It wasn’t until the 82nd minute that the crowd erupted after Raheem Edwards netted Sheridan’s first goal of the game with a composed rush that ended with a blast past a sprawling Garneau keeper.

Deadlocked at 1-1, the game went to penalty kicks, with each of the first four shooters on both teams converting from the spot.

Garneau was heartbroken after Voci made a fantastic save on their fifth shot and after Bruins defender Tarik Robertson calmly converted his kick, the win for Sheridan was sealed.

Player of the game awards were given to both team’s goalkeepers: Garneau’s Antoine Pouliot and Sheridan’s Daniel Voci.

Sheridan and VIU will now meet in the gold medal match on Saturday, November 8, while Algonquin will play NAIT and Garneau will play Keyano for the right to battle for the bronze medal.

Recap by: Spencer Luyben

Scott Harrigan
Your #1 source for community and amateur sports related news on Vancouver Island, British Columbia and beyond! Send stories to