it is my belief that the first team to get well in this area (special teams) will win tonight.
Every now and then a blind squirrel finds a nut. The Nashville Predators found some potency on the power play last night, riding two goals on the man advantage to take a 3-2 victory at American Airlines Center over the Dallas Stars.
Combine that with a simply stellar performance from Preds netminder Pekka Rinne and that’s the recipe for sending Dallas on an even steeper decline as the Stars dropped their sixth consecutive game. The Preds also extended Dallas’ power play frustration, killing off three man advantage opportunities.
Dallas has to be talking to itself this morning, wondering what they have to do to win a game… especially on home ice. The Stars did play well, you could even call them the better team on the ice for long stretches of last night’s game, but the frustration is growing in the Lone Star State. You could almost see the boys in green waiting for the roof to collapse after the Stars tied the score, capitalizing on an excellent push to draw even.
But Matt Cullen managed to bury a puck with eyes, finding its way through traffic to put the Preds up to stay and seal the win for the boys in gold. The team travels to St. Louis today for an ole fashioned Central Division donnybrook with the Blues with first place on the line.
This one could be epic.
Here’s the highlights from NHL.com
– Eric Nystrom played in his 500th NHL game last night.
– Derek Roy and Mattias Ekholm both had two point nights for the Preds last night. Filip Forsberg scored his 5th of the year
– After last night’s game, Pekka Rinne’s stats are at 1.89 GAA and a .932 save percentage.
– There’s been a lot of talk about “puck luck” in Dallas… and the Stars certainly didn’t get any last night.
– Trouble in St. Paul as Zach Parise is out for an undetermined time with a concussion and the Wild dropped their second consecutive game last night.
– After a 2-3-1 start, the St. Louis Blues have ripped off seven straight wins. First in the Central is on the line when the Preds pay a visit tomorrow night.
– Five games tonight… I think I will have NHL Network on for the Caps/Blackhawks.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game! You can also keep up with all the goings on with SlapShot Radio by following the show on Twitter @SlapShotRadio1
Also… make sure to “like” SlapShot Radio on Facebook… here’s the link.
SlapShot Radio is back every Wednesday at 7pm on 102.5 the Game and the SlapShot Radio Network. Our guests this week were New York Times writer John Branch, the author of Boy on Ice and the host of Hockey This Morning on SiriusXM’s NHL Network Radio, Mike Ross. Last night’s podcast is posted. Our premier, day one sponsor is back, that’s Dr. Jane Bacon at Hermitage Family and Cosmetic Dentistry … make your appointment at 615-872-7762.
Want to be part of the SlapShot Radio family? We have effective and affordable advertising packages for every budget. Advertisers… reach out to me to access our activated listener base via email at paul(@)slapshotradio(dot)com
Radio station owners/programmers, join the SlapShot Radio Network… contact me using the email above to carry SlapShot Radio on your station, we are satellite delivered every week via SkyView on the SlapShot Radio Network. Each show contains two full breaks for your usage.
Our podcasts are posted… Click here to download or listen to any of this season’s podcasts.
This post originally appeared on www.hockeybuzz.com and we thank them for permission to rebroadcast it here.