A solid Veteran’s day crowd saw the Nashville Predators take a 3-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers in a game that featured high powered offense and grind it out defense from a Nashville Predators team that once again snapped an Edmonton win streak. The win maintained the Preds hold on first in the Central Division and set up a nice little rematch in St.
Louis tomorrow night.
The hot play of the top line continued last night as both Mike Ribeiro and Filip Forsberg posted a goal and an assist… Forsberg extended his point streak to six games and the top line extended their point streak to seven games. The team certainly defied conventional wisdom as the first period back from a long roadie can be a little flat. No worries there…
The Predators took advantage of simply bad goaltending from Oilers starter Viktor Fasth on two of the goals… bad rebound control, slow post-to-post movement and simply not sealing the post was the reason for the goals. Fasth was lifted after giving up 3 on 17 shots in the first period. When Ben Scrivens entered the game at the beginning of the second, the game changed completely and settled down into a grinding defensive battle as the Oilers climbed their way back into the game, but the Predators went into shutdown mode and sealed the victory with an excellent defensive third period and notching their 10th win in 15 games.
I do have to take a second to note Matt Cullen’s goal last night… falling to the ice and tapping in a rebound while doing it… definitely lots of fun and one of the goals of the year. The Preds take off for their return visit to St. Louis today… the rematch at Scottrade Center is scheduled for 7pm tomorrow.
– Filip Forsberg performance last night extends his league leading plus/minus and his rookie scoring lead.
– Smashville welcomed Gnash back from IR last night… nice to see the big blue cat back up to his usual hijinx.
– Edmonton is now 0-7-1 against the Western Conference.
– The fighting debate is on again after clear number one draft choice Connor McDavid injured his hand last night after dropping the gloves, giving the anti-fighting contingent one more excuse to freak out on social media. Status on the young phenom is unknown at this time.
– Holy cow!!! The Islanders drubbed the Av’s 6-0 last night.
– Panic in C-Bus? The Jackets dropped their ninth in a row last night.
– So Dallas has defensive issues… so they trade Sergei Gonchar for Travis Moen… wait what?
– Two games tonight… Boston @ Toronto and LA @ Anaheim.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game! You can also keep up with all the goings on with SlapShot Radio by following the show on Twitter @SlapShotRadio1
Also… make sure to “like” SlapShot Radio on Facebook… here’s the link.
SlapShot Radio is back every Wednesday at 7pm on 102.5 the Game and the SlapShot Radio Network. Tonight’s show features St. Louis Blues color man Kelly Chase, the Puck Daddy Greg Wyshynski and Winnipeg Jets blogger Peter Tessier. Our premier, day one sponsor is back, that’s Dr. Jane Bacon at Hermitage Family and Cosmetic Dentistry … make your appointment at 615-872-7762.
Want to be part of the SlapShot Radio family? We have effective and affordable advertising packages for every budget. Advertisers… reach out to me to access our activated listener base via email at paul(@)slapshotradio(dot)com
Radio station owners/programmers, join the SlapShot Radio Network… contact me using the email above to carry SlapShot Radio on your station, we are satellite delivered every week via SkyView on the SlapShot Radio Network. Each show contains two full breaks for your usage.
Our podcasts are posted… Click here to download or listen to any of this season’s podcasts.
This post originally appeared on www.hockeybuzz.com and we thank them for permission to rebroadcast it here.