(ISN) – CALGARY, Alta. – Hockey Canada announced Friday the 28 players that have been invited to Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team selection camp, taking place Dec. 10-14, 2014 at the North Wentworth Arena in Hamilton, Ont.
Following the selection camp, 23 players will be chosen to represent Canada at the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship from Jan. 5-12 at HarborCenter in Buffalo, N.Y.
The selection camp roster was chosen by Melody Davidson, Hockey Canada’s general manager of national women’s team programs, and Hockey Canada’s team of regional scouts, along with head coach Cassandra Turner, assistant coaches Delaney Collins and Jackie Friesen, and goaltending coach Amanda Mazzotta.
The roster includes three goaltenders, nine defencemen and 16 forwards. Invitations were based on evaluations by Hockey Canada scouts during the 2014-15 season, including past performances with their provincial and club teams at events such as the 2014 Esso Cup, Canada’s National Female Midget Championship, in Stoney Creek, Ont.
Additionally, players were evaluated based on their performances at Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team conditioning camp in Toronto, Ont., in May and Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team selection camp in Calgary in August, which was followed by a three-game series against the United States.
The 28 players attending Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 selection camp will square off against the Ontario University Athletics All-Stars in two exhibitions games on Dec. 12 and Dec. 14 at the North Wentworth Arena.
Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team selection camp roster includes:
- 21 players who competed for Canada in the three-game series against the United States’ Women’s Under-18 Select Team in August (Agnew, Audet, Boissonnault, Cogan, Coutu-Godbout, Eastwood, Gebhard, Hart, Higham, Houston, Hunt, Jackson, Labbe, McGill, O’Neill, Pelletier, Potomak, Pozzebon, Quaranta, Sucharda, Tse);
- five players who participated in the 2014 IIHF Women’s High Performance Camp in Vierumäki, Finland in July (Campbell, Gebhard, Houston, Hunt, Pelletier);
- four players who attended Canada’s National Women’s Fall Festival in Calgary in September (Agnew, Hart, Cogan, Potomak);
- three players who won the gold medal with Canada’s National Women’s Under-18-Team at the 2014 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship in Budapest, Hungary (Cogan, Hart, Potomak).
Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team selection camp invitees, by province:
- Ontario – 13 (Agnew, Bourbonnais, Cogan, Eastwood, Field, Hine, McGill, O’Neill, Pozzebon, Quaranta, Sucharda, Tse, Vinkle)
- Quebec – four (Audet, Coutu-Godbout, Giguere, Matteau)
- Manitoba – four (Campbell, Higham, Houston, Hunt)
- British Columbia – two (Hart, Potomak)
- New Brunswick – two (Boissonault, Pelletier)
- Alberta – one (Labbe)
- Nova Scotia – one (Jackson)
- Saskatchewan – one (Gebhard)