(ISN) – The Mount Douglas Rams scored early and often building up a 50 to 0 halftime lead before cruising to a 57 to 0 victory over Kelowna. The Varsity Rams got off to a great start and established a physical tone to game. Kelowna unfortunately had some early injuries which we know took them out of their game plan but they fought hard with limited numbers right to the final whistle.
Gavin Cobb had another amazing game and was the spark that ignited our early scoring. Gavin returned the first Kelowna punt 85 yards to the Owls 2 yard line setting up the first score and then raced 73 yards for a major on his 2nd punt return. On the day, Gavin had 3 Punt returns for 183 yards, an interception, 2 tackles plus 15 yards rushing on just 2 carries. Also playing another stellar game was the hard running Seye Farinu who led the scoring with 3 TD’s, while 5 other Rams players registered majors on the day. On the ground, the Rams were led by Declann Michielin and Seye Farinu who ran for 88 yards and 84 yards respectively. On a wet day, Joe Clarke still managed to throw 2 touchdown strikes to Seye Farinu and Isaiah Pheiffer. Michael Olson continued his strong kicking hitting 7 of 7 convert kicks.
On the defensive side of the ball, the smothering Rams D forced 5 turnovers including 1 on special teams. Gavin Cobb and Isaiah Pheiffer each had a pick, while Jonah Merino, Pato Vega and Justice Kremler each had a fumble recovery. Jonah Merino was stellar and led the way for the Rams with 5 tackles and 1 sack in addition to his fumble recovery. Byron MacKinnon was a man on a mission, creating havoc in the Kelowna backfield throughout the contest and registered 4 tackles and 2 sacks. Mauricio Olascoaga played a strong game and had 4 tackles, followed by Declann Michielin, Pato Vega and Easton Garard with 3 tackles. Easton also chipped in with a sack of his own.
The players performed exceedingly well and should be proud of their efforts. However, the competition will be extremely difficult next weekend as we square off against STMC, an impressive football team from top to bottom. We will need to continue to improve in all areas and correct some things on specials teams and ball security…remember, there are no shortcuts to a Championship!
Clarke – 2 yard TD run
Farinu – 2 point convert run
MD 8 – 0
Cobb – 73 yard TD punt return
MD 15 – 0
Farinu – 25 yard TD run
MD 22 – 0
Clarke to Farinu – 49 yard TD pass
MD 29 – 0
Clarke to Pheiffer – 15 yard TD pass
MD 36 – 0
Farinu – 44 yard TD run
MD 43 – 0
Lopez – 10 yard TD run
MD 50 – 0
Michielin – 51 yard TD run
MD 57 – 0
Here is our proposed schedule for the next 2 weeks (subject to change)…including our game this Saturday November 29 versus STMC at UBC.
· Mon Nov 24 – 4:00 to 6:30 @ Tyndall Turf (4 to 5 @Tyndall – Helmet & Shoulder Pads) plus Strength Training & Film @ Mount Doug
· Tue Nov 25 – 4:00 to 5:30 @ Oak Bay (Full Gear)
· Wed Nov 26 – 4:00 to 6:30 @ UVic Field 3 (4 to 5 @ UVic – Full Gear) plus Strength Training & Film @ Mount Doug
· Thu Nov 27 – 4:00 to 6:00 @ Westhills Stadium (Full Gear)
· Fri Nov 28 – 3:00 to 4:30 @ Westhills Stadium (Walk Thru)
· Sat Nov 29 – Game Day – Semi-Finals @ UBC: STMVC vs Mount Douglas @ 5:00 pm
· Mon Dec 1 – 4:30 to 6:30 @ Mount Douglas (Helmet & Shoulder Pads) plus Strength Training & Film
· Tue Dec 2 – TBA
· Wed Dec 3 – 4:30 to 6:00 @ Westhills Stadium (Full Gear)
· Thu Dec 4 – 5:00 to 7:30 @ UVic Field 2B (Full Gear)
· Fri Dec 5 – 4:00 to 5:30 @ UVic Field 2B (Walk Thru)
· Sat Dec 6 – Game Day – Subway Bowl @ BC Place Stadium